+ Reply to Thread
Page 245 of 540 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245246247255295345 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,450 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I only have fond memories of my primary school, the others were a complete wast of time...

I went awol for most of my upper school time, it was so rubbish... I had no time for most of the teachers and any A & O levels I passed were nothing to do with their input...
    My primary school in a rough industrial town was hellish beyond belief, all I can remember is the whole class getting repeatedly belted (the dreaded Lochgelly 'tawse') for nothing very much, and having my head bounced off toilet walls by older kids, at least one of whom, I later found out, subsequently did time for murder.

By contrast my six years of high school in a rural boarding school was sheer bliss, as much music as I could fit in my day and by and large the sport (otherwise copious, cold & pointless) was avoidable if you could prove you were doing something constructive (such as music practice).

I'm Grant.

All our primary teachers were old spinsters who belted for fun. Only time they ever smiled and even then it was crooked
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I made local history by getting expelled from nursery school. Things didn't get any better from there onwards. Constantly in trouble right the way through school, my last school being very rough and tough. I got a constant hidings from teachers and pastings from bigger lads (made a point of settling scores with each one the month before I left though ). I was booted out at the age of fourteen and told never to return. Didn't matter, I'd learned easily and had learnt all I needed.

I'm Steve.

How'd you get expelled from nursery school? Try to cop some breast feeding from a teacher? Or perhaps leaving your soiled nappy in her butty box?

I'm Martin.

Loan sharking and extortion.

Probably.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

running a knocking shop
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    running a knocking shop
    Don't become a celebrity or a politician, it'll all catch up with you!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I only have fond memories of my primary school, the others were a complete wast of time...

I went awol for most of my upper school time, it was so rubbish... I had no time for most of the teachers and any A & O levels I passed were nothing to do with their input...
    Im right with you Ninanina. Thats exactly how I feel.

The great education scam is a whole topic for the pet hates section. I just felt that I was on a giant meat conveyor belt and I passed my O levels on an autopilot of regurgitation. I flunked my A levels because I had already been offered a job but I chose the wrong subjects anyway, no thanks to the school. They didnt even know I was there half the time and I did start flunking off . I couldnt face further education but feel that was a failure of the system. I am keen to learn in the right environment but I hated school

A key point is that the quality of A level teaching was poor or maybe it was because I suddenly had to think for myself without any real basis/guidance on which to do that. They chucked volumes of Nuffield Physics books at us and its a massive subject to take in with lazy teaching.

The fond memories of primary school are more to do with the joyous moments of young childhood before they squeeze that out of you.

If you look up quotes about unschooling it becomes clear that its mainly to keep kids off the streets and out of the labour market in a giant social engineering exercise. By the time I left school I was simply conditioned to say yes sir in some crap office job. It did not free my mind and make me a free thinker. I had a head full of osmosis theory and no idea of who I was or what I was capable of.

The standard of careers advice summed it all up
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 27-12-2017 at 12:23.

I'm Martin.

If one more shop or machine asks me if I want my receipt, I will explode to the moon

Like today she has my receipt 30cm away from me and asks me if I want it. Of course I want it as its the only written proof I have paid for the goods. Why wouldnt I want it? Why would I allow her just to throw it in the bin?

If I dont get my receipt and Im stopped at the door or go into another shop, what proof do I have that Ive paid for the items in my bag. I may also like to check the prices on the receipts later.

Some lad in another shop said he would know if I had paid for it but come the crunch he wouldnt know and we would have to go back through a machines copy records with a security guard present

Its driving me mad. Why cant she just hand me my receipt without asking me. Its already printed FFS so they are not even saving paper. Anyway I dont want them saving paper...I want my receipt Aaaaaargh

I'm brian.

Exactly Martin, for whatever reason I was buzzed going out of Morrisons and as my main shopping had been in Liddles I had to produce that bill as well for security.
    Saved me a lot of hassle in the long run that, me thinks.

+ Reply to Thread