+ Reply to Thread
Page 399 of 540 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401409449499 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Whenever flying is involved (as we usually go abroad to Europe by car), we always book our flights, and anything else necessary, through a travel agent.

It's simply less hassle that way, and crucially, in the event of any problems, you've got comeback available through a 'bricks and mortar' establishment. That peace of mind, for me, is invaluable.

For similar reasons, I like to book hotels direct, through the website of the hotel concerned, rather than via comparison sites, and deal with a human being that way, followed up with confirmation of the booking and the person's name who I've spoken with, via email.

We're all too lazy these days, and have gotten used to 'mouse-clicking' our way through life, instead of putting more effort into performing the task in hand, often with the type consequences you've just outlined

Life's too short for such stress and inconvenience!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I agree, and usually that is what would I normally do; for the exact same reasons. But it was for Happy, who is usually quite au fait and successful with on-line interactions. I have used on-line booking sites in the past, without problem, but in the last year or so the whole business seems to have become more complicated and difficult.
    Barry

I'm Russell.

A pet peeve of mine concerning flying, is the way they force you to take connecting flights to save money? What the heck? You fly twice and far on two different planes to save money? Because if there is a direct flight on one plane, it costs twice as much? There’s something I’m not getting.

I was pricing a flight to Denver from Richmond VA, and they would fly me to Texas, or Florida, or damn near anywhere to lengthen the flight and force me to change planes at least once for the bargain discount ticket. But the flight that goes directly to Denver cost twice as much, even though I flew less than half as far on one plane! What a waste of fuel and time! I figured it was cheaper if I booked a flight to Texas, with the connecting flight in Denver, and just get off in Denver and not take the last connecting flight! I’d get a Direct single flight to Denver for half price.

The Direct flight to Denver was under 4 hours, but all economy tickets were 7.5 and 8 hour flights. Usually with an hour layover or longer in some place that wasn’t anywhere in between takeoff and landing points. What a waste of fuel and time? How can they sell you more for less, and less for more? I don’t get it, just offer the damn direct flight and charge what you must, this purposely inconveniencing you for saving money is lunacy. The government is all concerned about gas mileage of cars, forcing car companies to produce electric cars, worried about fuel consumption and climate change, while planes are flying around their ass to get to their elbow just for the sake of inconvenience? Literally using twice the fuel necessary to get you from point A to point B? I just don’t get it.

Russell

I'm Martin.

You going to the RMAF Russell?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    A pet peeve of mine concerning flying, is the way they force you to take connecting flights to save money? What the heck? You fly twice and far on two different planes to save money? Because if there is a direct flight on one plane, it costs twice as much? There’s something I’m not getting.

I was pricing a flight to Denver from Richmond VA, and they would fly me to Texas, or Florida, or damn near anywhere to lengthen the flight and force me to change planes at least once for the bargain discount ticket. But the flight that goes directly to Denver cost twice as much, even though I flew less than half as far on one plane! What a waste of fuel and time! I figured it was cheaper if I booked a flight to Texas, with the connecting flight in Denver, and just get off in Denver and not take the last connecting flight! I’d get a Direct single flight to Denver for half price.

The Direct flight to Denver was under 4 hours, but all economy tickets were 7.5 and 8 hour flights. Usually with an hour layover or longer in some place that wasn’t anywhere in between takeoff and landing points. What a waste of fuel and time? How can they sell you more for less, and less for more? I don’t get it, just offer the damn direct flight and charge what you must, this purposely inconveniencing you for saving money is lunacy. The government is all concerned about gas mileage of cars, forcing car companies to produce electric cars, worried about fuel consumption and climate change, while planes are flying around their ass to get to their elbow just for the sake of inconvenience? Literally using twice the fuel necessary to get you from point A to point B? I just don’t get it.

Russell
    The direct flight has a 'convenience surcharge' levied, that's what they are doing. They are charging you extra for no other reason than that they can.

Over here the cost of flights to holiday destinations are always advertised as 'one way'. Makes no sense to me - surely most people going on holiday will be coming back, albeit reluctantly.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You going to the RMAF Russell?
    I wasn’t thinking of that, but now that you mention it I very well could time it to attend the Audio Show! I’ve never been to one.

Russell

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I wasn’t thinking of that, but now that you mention it I very well could time it to attend the Audio Show! I’ve never been to one.

Russell
    From reading all the show reports and that it seems to be one of the best.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I wouldn't mind but it happens every time.

The scene - Starbucks. Today's episode - Gordano Services.

Me: A tall black filter coffee to go please.
    Barista: Do you want room for milk in that ?
    Me: No thank you.
    Barista: Is that to drink in or take away ?
    Me: Take away.
    Barista: Do you want room for milk in that ?
    Me: No thank you.

Of all the frappuchino / skinny this-and-that etc stuff they get asked for, you give them the simplest possible order and all the information on a plate and they just don't listen.

At least I wasn't asked for my name so that it could be mis-spelt on the cup (usually "Pit"). That would probably have resulted in an incident.

FFS.

Pete

I'm Martin.

Not sure when it became impossible to ask for 'A black coffee' and just be served it without any further interrogation. Late 1990s? Or maybe it was earlier than that.

Of course I still try:

'A black coffee please.'

'Black coffee? Do you mean an Americano?'

'I don't know what that is, is that a black coffee?'

'You can have it without milk'

'I just want a black coffee. if that's a black coffee then I'll have that.'

'So you want an Amerciano?'

'Yes, if it is a black coffee.'

'You can have it without milk.'

'You can have anything without milk, except for milk itself.'

'So you want an Americano?'

And so on...a bit like 'Who's on First?' it only ends when they want it to. I stopped drinking coffee a while back but now I notice that you can't even just ask for a black tea without confusing them. And they want two quid for a teabag, some hot water and a cardboard cup. I'm out.

I'm old enough to remember that even if you went in the café at the railway station there was proper china, linen tablecloths, and a waitress in a black dress with a white apron and doily thing would come to the table and take your order. And if you asked for a black coffee she just wrote down 'black coffee' and then came back with...a black coffee. Can someone explain to me exactly what was wrong with that and why it needed to change? Because I've got no god-damned idea.

Now if you want to get a hot drink at the station before catching your train get there really early because you will have to queue at a counter behind a bunch of wankers all asking for 'double latte skimmed egg froth toss with cinnamon' or some similar poncy shite that takes the bloke serving fifteen minutes to make each one and so the line is always out the door and half-way down the platform.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

There's a little workman's cafe I take my grand daughters to and egg 'n chips x 3, two fruit juice cartons and a mug of decent tasting coffee comes to less than seven quid. Bargain! And it all tastes decent.

+ Reply to Thread