+ Reply to Thread
Page 445 of 540 FirstFirst ... 345395435443444445446447455495 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,450 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Martin.

I have optical out from the telly and into the amplifier's built in DAC and I'm wondering if that is what the issue is. I suspect Marco is using HDMI for both audio and video.

I could take analogue out from the TV instead (I think).

Wish we were back in the good old days of NICAM and SCART-to-phono cables. I swear the sound was better then as well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Marco, how are you connecting the TV to the amp for audio signal?
    HDMI cable from the TV to the amp, mate. Same for video. How, what's the plan?

Marco,
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    My amp is an A/V jobbie, for use with Sky, Blu Ray and Amazon Prime streaming. And although everything is running side-by-side, my home cinema set up and the hifi stuff are completely independent of each other.

My point was that while I can (and do) increase volume on A/V amp when using Sky, (and amp certainly isn't running out of steam), I shouldn't have to.

Have said that, I think I'll dig out the manual to see how to increase level on centre channel, as it sometimes (on speech) seems to be a bit low compared to the other channels and this probably is to do with my crappy hearing.
    Ah, no worries... No you defo shouldn't have to do that, I rarely need to, as everything works together as a system well enough for me to achieve adequate listening levels for TV or films. But then I have pretty good hearing.

Hearing and eyesight are my keenest senses, not so much smell, which is a blessing in disguise with my arse!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    HDMI cable from the TV to the amp, mate. Same for video. How, what's the plan?

Marco,
    Right. Both my AV amps pre-date HDMI so that's a non starter. My favourite DVD player doesn't have it either. This is the trouble with being an early adopter in the home theatre game, the tide goes out and leaves you high and dry.
    Current Lash Up:

Lol, well sometimes it pays not to be so resolutely 'old school', and move with the times...

But, if you list the gear you're using for the purpose intended, I'll try and work out if there's a better way of connecting it all up!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Ah, no worries... No you defo shouldn't have to do that, I rarely need to, as everything works together as a system well enough for me to achieve adequate listening levels for TV or films. But then I have pretty good hearing.

Hearing and eyesight are my keenest senses, not so much smell, which is a blessing in disguise with my arse!

Marco.
    Yes, it's Del's nose I feel sorry for

What confuses me though (and as you know I'm not easily confused by technology ) is that when you take signal (audio and video) from TV to amp, surely those signals had to come from Sky box (or Virgin) originally, so low output from box, if indeed that's what it is, would still be low when reaching the amp? Mind you, to be honest I don't know what's connected to what back there. My installation method with any of this was pretty much to keep plugging things in and pressing remote control buttons until something happens, then saying "Yep, that's it".

Anita has been threatening for some time to wheedle a Sky Q box from them, as we've been customer's for about 12 years now, and it's time we got something out of them besides shit programmes and constant self-promoting adverts. Only problem is that we don't have Virgin in our area and Sky must know this, so our bargaining power is somewhat reduced. What we need is some incriminating pics of Sky's big cheese out cottaging or something.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Lol, well sometimes it pays not to be so resolutely 'old school', and move with the times...

But, if you list the gear you're using for the purpose intended, I'll try and work out if there's a better way of connecting it all up!

Marco.
    Both my AV amps were bought new and were state of the art at the time. Now pretty much worthless. Used to have a Kenwood as well but gave that away.

Only need 2 channels anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Both my AV amps were bought new and were state of the art at the time. Now pretty much worthless. Used to have a Kenwood as well but gave that away.

Only need 2 channels anyway.
    And it's not like you did much cooking.

I'm Martin.

Shops that assume Im going to give my email address. I had it again yesterday at Halfords.

The assistant ready to type, blurted out "which email address do you want us to register the guarantee with"

Im fed up of explaining that its nothing personal but I dont generally give out my email address to shops.

I get enough junk mail from online stores without adding the strong possibility of more. For the guarantee I just need a receipt which I was given. It really bugs me. The assistant or the owner dont give their personal emails out so why the hell do shops assume I want that sort of relationship with them

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    The assistant ready to type, blurted out "which email address do you want us to register the guarantee with"
    In sales, we call that a 'close'...

Next time you're told that, respond by saying: 'And which address would you like the unwanted Chinese takeaways delivered to?'

Seriously, just tell them you don't have an email address. Despite the technological world we live in now, I'd envisage that at least 30% of the population still don't own a smart phone or computer, so they have no right being so presumptuous!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread