+ Reply to Thread
Page 453 of 540 FirstFirst ... 353403443451452453454455463503 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,530 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Rich.

A new pet hate of mine is cheap shit audio cables, and piss poor ebay support.

I bought a jack to jack cable from eBay to connect my Echo dot to an external speaker. I plugged it in and all was well, I then wanted to move the echo so I unplugged the cable only to find the end of the jack plug was still wedged into the output socket of the echo, and I could not get the bugger out for the life of me. To make matters worse the little bit stuck in the socket was enough to disable the built in speaker, rendering the unit mute. I emailed the seller and he refunded me the cost of the cable straight away, I said what about the knackered echo, he replied "send it to me and I'll have a look". But with a combination of it being next saturday before I could get to the post office, and being extremely reluctant to send it off to someone that can't put a cable together properly I declined. I asked again about the unusable echo and he basically said tough shit, contact eBay. I did and they said all he had to do was refunded the cable cost, he was under no obligation to resolve my issue. They did say I could leave suitable feedback though, to which I replied that I had already left positive feedback as it worked when I plugged it in, and when I asked if I could redo the feedback with something that reflected my experience as a buyer, they said no. So they didn't offer any useful advice whatsoever. I was trying to total up how much I had spent on eBay over the years and gave up after getting to about £5k in 4 purchases, as it was making the lack of resolution worse to think I could probably get to a total that neared £20k.

I know it's bordering on a 'do you know how much I spend here' hissy tantrum to feel disinclined to use eBay again anytime soon, after what is basically one bad experience that would cost about £30 to rectify, but bollocks to them!

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Rob.

Supermarket checkouts.

For want of a better phrase: "I've dumped my load" at many many of them and walked off.

Life's too short, "Management to tills" and there begins an unbearable 10 minute haitus (in your already unbearable existence), where if I was living in the States and was an AK47 toting type who'd forgotten to take his medication, you'd be seeing pictures of my mug on global news. With people who knew me making comments like: "Such a quiet lad, I'm shocked!".

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    Supermarket checkouts.

The number of times this comes up on this thread its got to be number one pet hate. I am now in the habit of calming myself down even before entering the supermarket. It's the only way to prevent a kill-crazy rampage. It's not just the checkouts, it's the whole supermarket experience. Is it designed to be as unpleasant as possible? Naïve question, I know.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The number of times this comes up on this thread its got to be number one pet hate. I am now in the habit of calming myself down even before entering the supermarket. It's the only way to prevent a kill-crazy rampage. It's not just the checkouts, it's the whole supermarket experience. Is it designed to be as unpleasant as possible? Naïve question, I know.
    Nah, just sit down and breath, supermarkets are fine. Lost worse things going on in the world. Like cyclists who don't stop on a red, and I ride a bike regular.

I'm Rob.

Macca,

"Is it designed to be as unpleasant as possible? Naïve question, I know. "

The system/employees they use is designed to take us right to the edge of what we'll tolerate, thereby maximising their profits and not our comfort!

I'm Ian.

This might be rather controversial so I'm ready for the backlash. It really irks me when grinning celebrities tell me how wonderful first class on British Airways is, quaffing champagne and scoffing fine food when three months ago they were all over the telly asking us to donate money to charities desperately in need, full of pathos and concern. I realise everyone has to earn a living but surely any credibility they had went out the window when they sat there grinning from their world class comfy seats.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Bob,

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    The system/employees they use is designed to take us right to the edge of what we'll tolerate, thereby maximising their profits and not our comfort!
    I'm not saying that you're wrong, but could you explain how you think such a policy works? Basically, I'm struggling with the concept of how pissing folk off, and exasperating them with a poor in-store experience, maximises profits...?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rob.

Tapid,

That sounds like a wonderfully civilised world you live in down there.

We've got groups (10 - 20 a time) of hoody trial bikers in parts of this city will go out deliberately looking for a police pursuit, wheelies through red lights and across main junctions and onto in-coming traffic.

Sit back and relax mate, there's always somewhere worse.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Bob,

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but could you explain how you think such a policy works? Basically, I'm struggling with the concept of how pissing folk off, and exasperating them with a poor in-store experience, maximises profits...?

Marco.
    Get you in and out as fast as possible. They're subliminally training us to make our shop as quick and efficient as possible by making it such a dismal experience,
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

Marco,

How often do you switch your supermarket?

Just like they place toys where they're most visible to our brats, they do their research into just how much you're prepared to suffer before moving your loyalty off somewhere else.

My local super size Tesco when it first opened had the tills full with assistants and packers, it was fast. Now your waiting around, things have settled down, the tills are mostly empty and so there is a call " assistants to tills", a few will come but there's still a wait.

They're not putting us first, there's an optimisation being done some are shelf stacking etc, there's only so many staff in any store and if they all come running to the tills other tasks would be interupted harming profits.

The profit optimisations have been done! If they start losing customers they'll put more staff on, but they won't because they know precisely how many minutes the average Joe will wait and have the staff just to cope with that.

+ Reply to Thread