+ Reply to Thread
Page 424 of 540 FirstFirst ... 324374414422423424425426434474524 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,240 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I've seen those "Real housewives of Cheshire" on the telly - nothing about them looks real to me. And no doubt they contribute greatly to the traffic problems, taking little Fabian and Cressida to school in their giant SUV's.
    100% correct, on both counts!

I can't stand those types of programmes or the people in them, as *everything* is false, from their orange faces, covered in fake tan/make-up and/or way too many sessions on a sun bed, to the impression of wealth they like to portray, which is nothing other than vulgar pretentiousness, often favoured by the nouveau riche.

They may have money but they're as common as muck, almost always dimwitted, and have no class!

I relate much more to the values and understated outlook/lifestyle of those brought up on the culture of 'old money', which is often reflected in the types of houses both they and the 'footballers wives' set would live in, and indeed in many other ways too, which I could go into...

A good comparison of such is made by comparing the respective Cheshire towns of Wilmslow and Knutsford: one is full of pretentious jewellery shops and ladies designer clothes boutiques, catering for bling and questionable tastes in fashion, and the other quaint little antique and book shops, clothes shops for the 'country set', and very good privately owned shops and restaurants, instead of overpriced chains, full of mass-produced (but expensive) crap, designed to superficially look good, but have little 'depth'...

I could go on! Needless to say, I steer well clear of the pretentious shit and embrace what is much more 'real' and has true class. Maybe that's why I don't encounter the types of things others here moan about, simply because where I choose to live and/or visit is largely divorced from that sort of crap?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Yeah it looks very nice Marco and of course Im only joking. There are very nice areas all over the county and elsewhere.

Both those places you mention are full of pretentious crap. Indeed I had a "Wilmslow" credit card at one point but its all bollocks really. I dont particularly like either town now. I do look for women in Alderley Edge though. Ferrari... Porsche..... Ferrari...My bicycle....of course Im an airline pilot or business owner when in the bars there

I think that once it becomes all about showing off affluence, something important goes missing and it gets very superficial.

I was looking for a bit more soul and realistic prices so live in a town with a strange mixture of affluence and reality. Its not all about money now for me or maybe life is all about money ...I dont know. I look for really good people and try and cut through the B/S

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yeah it looks very nice Marco and of course Im only joking. There are very nice areas all over the county and elsewhere.
    Totally agree.

Both those places you mention are full of pretentious crap. Indeed I had a "Wilmslow" credit card at one point but its all bollocks really. I dont particularly like either town now. I do look for women in Alderley Edge though. Ferrari... Porsche..... Ferrari...My bicycle....of course Im an airline pilot or business owner when in the bars there
    Lol... I wouldn't thank you for those types of women. WAY too high maintenance!

Plus, most of them are airheads you simply can't engage in intelligent conversation. Any women like that, or those who obsess over the lifestyles of 'celebrities', fret about staying 'on trend', or who live on their mobile phones and/or on social media, I steer clear of, as they're just not my type.

In terms of 'Wilmslow vs Knutsford', having been in both towns I much prefer the latter. Just more my type of place.

Yes, there is some evidence of pretentiousness, but for me it's not as deep-rooted as it is in Wilmslow or AE. The areas of Cheshire I prefer are more rural and off the beaten track, where you're more likely to see the local women dressed in Barbour jackets and wellies than Dolce & Gabbana

I think that once it becomes all about showing off affluence, something important goes missing and it gets very superficial.
    Absolutely, and I abhor such superficiality. Usually when you scratch beneath the surface, their "affluence" is courtesy only of their credit cards; there's no substance to it. Like you say, it's important for somewhere (especially where you live) to have 'soul' and be populated by REAL people, whether they're genuinely wealthy, poor or somewhere in between.

What I can't abide are the bullshitters and those who pretend to be something that they're not, simply to maintain an image!

I'm fortunate to have not only bits of Cheshire near me, but Shropshire (which is arguably more 'real') and Herefordshire, and of course North Wales. I can assure you that driving around most of those areas in a nice car, surrounded by beautiful countryside [when you're relaxed and have plenty of time], well away from the rat race, is a joy, not a chore

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Another thing that annoys me is a strange driving behaviour that has started catching on here in Adelaide, indicating right at roundabouts to go straight ahead. What is that all about?
    Roundabouts are quite rare in this part of the world and people just have no idea what to do when they come across one. Some wait for ever, some just drive through and hope for the best.
    Roundabouts show up the UK immigrants here as we know how to use them.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    Another thing that annoys me is a strange driving behaviour that has started catching on here in Adelaide, indicating right at roundabouts to go straight ahead. What is that all about?
    Roundabouts are quite rare in this part of the world and people just have no idea what to do when they come across one. Some wait for ever, some just drive through and hope for the best.
    Roundabouts show up the UK immigrants here as we know how to use them.
    Well at least they drive on the right side there .... by which I mean the left of course.
    Have you got any of those 'magic' roundabouts there with mini roundabouts on the circumference of the main central one, my wife was stuck on the one near us for a few hours the other day before I got on my bike and showed her a way out. She was giddy as hell!

I'm Martin.

A magic roundabout yesterday:

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A magic roundabout yesterday:

Jeez - that would confuse the Hell out of me! Where is it (so I can avoid it)?
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Swindon I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

probably easier at ground level, but needless to say it would have been designed by some dick on a bike
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mark.

Last time I used the one near Heathrow satnav told me to take the 43rd exit.

+ Reply to Thread