+ Reply to Thread
Page 409 of 540 FirstFirst ... 309359399407408409410411419459509 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,090 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    WRT someone saying Starbucks coffee is dreadful.

It is.

How then is that chain so huge? I am amazed by that fact.

Costa beans are OK Marco but there is better out there. You will find them.

The trouble with some really high grade small producer coffees is they can taste amazing, only to find that when you.re-order the same, it sometimes isn't. Quite a lot sometimes it isn't.

In other words, small producers seem to come up with some amazing beans, but they seem to have trouble being consistent at it.

Annoying I find.
    Yup, dude, it's often the same with wine! Hear ya about the beans... No doubt, as I'm just starting out in this game, so have TONS to learn!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    WRT someone saying Starbucks coffee is dreadful.

It is.

How then is that chain so huge? I am amazed by that fact.

Costa beans are OK Marco but there is better out there. You will find them.

The trouble with some really high grade small producer coffees is they can taste amazing, only to find that when you.re-order the same, it sometimes isn't. Quite a lot sometimes it isn't.

In other words, small producers seem to come up with some amazing beans, but they seem to have trouble being consistent at it.

Annoying I find.
    Location, location, location! Well explained in Tim Harford's book. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Undercover-...over+economist

Geoff

I'm Mark.

Costa have nailed it and I love the fancy designs on top - sometimes I can't bear to stir my sugar in and spoil them. Nespresso are not far behind for an easy home brew capsule option. Don't fall for their one-off designer offers though, I order the exact same caps every time.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Bizarrely - and I can’t believe I’m writing it, but I promise you it’s true - one of the best places on the high street to get a really nice, simple black coffee is.......McDonalds!
    +1
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Martin.

A long time ago now Maccie-D's did a survey and found that people's main complaint was that their coffee was appalling. Which it was. So they got in experts and sorted it out. Must be going back 15 years here at least.

When I worked in KFC back in 1990 people would often come up to me and complain that the coffee was disgusting. Not sure what they expected me to do about it given my job was bussing tables and mopping the floor. I just used to agree with them which took the wind out of their sails a bit.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A long time ago now Maccie-D's did a survey and found that people's main complaint was that their coffee was appalling. Which it was. So they got in experts and sorted it out. Must be going back 15 years here at least.

When I worked in KFC back in 1990 people would often come up to me and complain that the coffee was disgusting. Not sure what they expected me to do about it given my job was bussing tables and mopping the floor. I just used to agree with them which took the wind out of their sails a bit.
    Yeah its a bit like when someone pulls alongside you at the lights and says your driving s terrible mate, best just to agree and that normally stuns them into silence.

I'm Martin.

It sort of annoys me now that people eat at Muckdonalds etc. Talk about getting what we deserve FFS

I just think taking the kids for a happy meal sets a bad and lazy example. Cant see any positives to it as kids will eat anything and think its ok. Bung them a few undercooked fish fingers and they think its ok

Its just brainwashing to me and its not particularly cheap. I would rather find a local cafe or something similar. They seem to be dying out and perhaps its because people go to the American owned chains.

Did we ever neeed them or are we just being Americanised in that lazy way?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    It sort of annoys me now that people eat at Muckdonalds etc. Talk about getting what we deserve FFS

I just think taking the kids for a happy meal sets a bad and lazy example. Cant see any positives to it as kids will eat anything and think its ok. Bung them a few undercooked fish fingers and they think its ok

Its just brainwashing to me and its not particularly cheap. I would rather find a local cafe or something similar. They seem to be dying out and perhaps its because people go to the American owned chains.

for a treat, there's no harm. its when you start living out of them when your in trouble. food isn't poison or anything, just high in calories and fat.
    its like saying i don't give my kid ice cream coz its bad for you.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post

If I walk home from work I go past one and I sometimes nip in and get a cheeseburger for a bit of fuel as it's a long trek. Place is always rammed full of children ages 2 and up. All glass and tiles too so you can imagine how the noise bounces around, and I hate the noise of children anyway, probably still annoy me in an anechoic chamber. I just grab my burger and eat it on the march. But you have to wonder at these people taking infants there to eat. Pretty sure I wouldn't do that if I had children.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Yes But I challenge anyone to say its a good burger.

I have a family member that took me and I couldnt back out of it. He is a strange one because he has eaten fine foods all over the world but thinks the first thing I would want to do is get a big mac or something. I couldnt get out of it without causing offence

To me its just paint by the numbers highly processed food...the meat tastes bland and full of fillers. Its nothing like the better burgers you can get.

I remember nipping in for the breakfast mcmuffin in London but I felt cheated on the satisfaction front. Hunger and availability leads to some strange decisions

Ok it fills a hole but very little more than that. Again I dont wanna sound like a snob but I just dont see the appeal.

+ Reply to Thread