+ Reply to Thread
Page 370 of 412 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370371372380 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,700 of 4119

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Steve.

Oh Macca, your last paragraph, that's how they get you!

I used to be in a lottery syndicate with six others, and when I left I kept my numbers going. I met up with them on the last work day before Christmas for a bit of a reunion, and straighten up with them. My share was one 1 ticket per week. The payout each year wasn't anything to write home about. One year I asked them what I owed them and it was 52. That was the last time I had anything to do with Lotto. The other six people have all since retired or been made redundant. reckon I saved a few quid there.

When Anita used to drive for Stagecoach, a work colleague won a couple of million ("it won't change me one bit!" he proudly declared.) last she heard of him he was spending his "early retirement bombing round in a new Jag in between holidays. Bastard.

She does this "Postcode Lottery, and I don't mind that. So long as those red-clad doorstep botherers give me some notice so I can be out. No win is big enough to make me endure that.
    'I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested'

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Oh Macca, your last paragraph, that's how they get you!
    I used to be a professional gambler man and I can tell you now, if you think luck is random you are wrong.

I give you an example. I'm paying a quid a week for the bonus ball sweep. I don't win for two and a half years. On average I should have won at least twice in that time. So if I quit that I save a quid a week, and it isn't like the lottery, I won't be left training the temps.

But I told everyone, you watch my number will come in now after 30 months of no show. And it did, on the very next Saturday after I quit the sweep.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm Steve.

"If it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all".

The one thing that lotto gives which is beyond dispute, is hope. Makes it a bit of a bargain I suppose.

I'm Martin.

If there was no syndicate I would not play the lotto. But if there is then I have no choice even if it is only to guarantee it won't win. That's the meat of it.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm Steve.

The penny's finally dropped. I see what you mean now.

I'm Martin.

It's essentially a 'Seinfeld' plot that they never used.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

I'm Russell.

I took my ex to the horse races. I was reading all the stats, trying to make informed bets. She was picking the horse with the name she liked. I lost every time and she won 3 in a row! I started bidding with her and we wound up having drinks and food, and still left with $50 more than I showed up with! I wonder if my ex would think me weird if called her to pick some horses?

Russell

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post

My wife immediately noticed I was pointless and our relationship was meaningless from the next room!
    I didn't notice my wife in the next room.
    Steve.

TT: 1986 Townshend Rock, 1980 Luxman PD264, 1978 Planar 3 in original condition.
    Arm: AO modified Moth RB250, Hadcock GH228, Rega R200.
    Cart: AT OC9 III, Shure V15 III, Bellex HOMC.
    Phono: Vincent PHO-8, Akitika MM.
    CDP: California Labs CL15, Pioneer DVP 676A.
    Digi: Squeezebox.
    Amp: Copland CSA-29, Denon PMA250 II, Cambridge Audio Azur 651A.
    Speakers: 1995 Castle Howard S1, 1970 Wharfedales.
    Headphones: AKG Q701.

I'm Martin.

Any scientist of good philosopher will tell you there is no such thing as luck.

Its never ceases to amaze me how we are so fascinated by the concept of luck. It is an abstract concept which is fickle unpredictable and cantankerous

"There is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe". Its an event based on probability. Your being born in this country or meeting someone is a random event which you then try and put into a wider context.

The rest is your head full of lucky clover

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    "There is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe". Its an event based on probability. Your being born in this country or meeting someone is a random event which you then try and put into a wider context
    Lucky somebody worked that all out for us.

+ Reply to Thread