View Poll Results: Please Rate this Album out of 10

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - You'd have to be a zombie to enjoy this!

2 11.11%
  • 1 - Grimly Fiendish

0 0%
  • 2 - barely a pulse

2 11.11%
  • 3 - I quite liked Vincent Price's Rap

0 0%
  • 4 - More "sucker" than "blood"

1 5.56%
  • 5 - Shaken, not stirred

2 11.11%
  • 6 - Spookily enjoyable

1 5.56%
  • 7 - Scarily good

1 5.56%
  • 8 - I'm "staking" my claim and buying it

2 11.11%
  • 9 - The Spirit in the Sky!

5 27.78%
  • 10 - The Monster Mash!

2 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 65: Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)

I'm ChrisB.

Ha!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    So, it's not just me then, who can't derive a single moment of interest or pleasure from anything Michael Jackson has ever done?
    I thought it was me against the world for a while back there!
    The thing is, usually, I can see why people might like something even if I hate it, but with him, I've always been bewildered that anyone might even think he was talented.
    I borrowed a vinyl copy from a friend and I did listen to the whole album all the way through. Afraid I didn't hear anything to change my mind.
    Best track? The running out track on side two.
    Lol... What are you like? You must admit, though, that he was a very talented dancer! Or is your benchmark for such things the monotonous geriatric parading seen on Strictly?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

Ha!
    No, I don't have a personal benchmark for dancing. Well that's a lie, I suppose.
    How about: Tried it once & thought it was pants.

I can't do it & I don't understand why other people might want to!

Incidentally, purely as a hi-fi exercise (if you don't like the music), and for a bit of a giggle to test your system and speakers, for anyone who owns his 'BAD' album, try playing 'Speed Demon' as loudly as your system can handle - that'll defo get yer woofaz barking!!

It's one of the tracks I always play to, erm, 'entertain' people when they visit...

Quite a fun little animated vid, too (he often made some of the best pop videos around):

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Ha!
    No, I don't have a personal benchmark for dancing. Well that's a lie, I suppose.
    How about: Tried it once & thought it was pants.

I can't do it & I don't understand why other people might want to!
    ...and therein lies the reason why you don't like MJ

I haven't met anyone yet who dislikes dancing, but who likes MJ, or vice versa. The two go fundamentally together. Bet you hadn't thought of it that way before!

I expect your feelings will be the same about John Travolta. Whereas, in Saturday Night Fever (and Grease), I thought he was cool as fuck...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm ChrisB.

I had actually, but it's OK - I don't mind not liking Michael Jackson!

Yup, 'tis simply down to personal taste... There can't be many hardcore Zappa fans who like MJ!

I liked him (indeed he was an idol of mine, as a teenager). Many times my mates and I would play his music in our bedrooms and try and copy his moves... We used to be quite good!

When I first heard Billy Jean, and saw *that* video of him dancing during it, I was in AWE, but then it was released bang in the middle of my most impressionable period as a teenager, and so his music brings back many fond memories for me. 1980-83 (between my 4th and 6th years at secondary school) was an awesome time in my life.

Anyway, I thought that the correlation between a liking of ('disco-style') dancing and MJ's music was pertinent. Quite simply, if you don't 'get' one, you won't 'get' the other....

Ultimately, however, Prince was always much more talented!

Marco.
    Main System

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ultimately, however, Prince was always much more talented!
    Too right! I was virtually dragged to a Prince concert many years ago by my then girlfriend. Rarely have I been so surprised and impressed. The man is a superb performer and a not inconsiderable guitar player.

Indeed, and Appollonia Kotero (what a beautiful name), in Purple Rain (one of my all time fav films), was always rather easy on the eye....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

This has been a most interesting Album Club choice and quite possibly the results have been the most surprising of all the selections so far.

I often struggle to understand how anyone could score any *popular* music with a 1, but music does divide opinion as we have seen recently with The Rolling Stones being described as shit I particularly like Marco's reasoning too, mind you I really dislike 'Strictly' but love this album, I don't dance, but wish I could and often say I will learn when I have more time, as I think music and dance go hand in glove.

The Billie Jean video is an historic bit of pop culture and I never tire of seeing that - as for Prince, boy do I wish I had seen him live in his prime
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast