+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lenco GL59 restoration

I'm ILOB.

Unfortantly the bargin I bought all sold out now Actux 415 STR bloody great cart with my arm has put some very expensive carts to shame
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ChrisB.

That looks great Paul.
    A question if you don't mind. With the Rega arm at the 7 o'clock position, did you have any problems with interference from the motor?
    I'm in the process of doing something similar with my G99 and have cut my wood to take an arm there. I realised too late that there may be a problem with this configuration, but haven't had any opportunity to find out if things will be OK or not.

As for the clothes peg - brilliant! I'll post a piccie of my first rough assembly of the G99 with it's own 'custom' rest shortly.

I'm Nobody.

Some please find me a Lenco 'L77' before i loose the will to live

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    That looks great Paul.
    A question if you don't mind. With the Rega arm at the 7 o'clock position, did you have any problems with interference from the motor?
    I'm in the process of doing something similar with my G99 and have cut my wood to take an arm there. I realised too late that there may be a problem with this configuration, but haven't had any opportunity to find out if things will be OK or not.

As for the clothes peg - brilliant! I'll post a piccie of my first rough assembly of the G99 with it's own 'custom' rest shortly.
    Thanks Chris

I must admit the thought had never crossed my mind - I'd seen other Lenco members build their 2nd arms to the left and copied them. It was never practical for me to place it along the back of the plinth. What kind of interference are you referring to? Give me idea of what you want me to look out for.

P
    Paul.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Unfortantly the bargin I bought all sold out now Actux 415 STR bloody great cart with my arm has put some very expensive carts to shame
    sounds interesting john, did Vic sell them?
    Paul.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Some please find me a Lenco 'L77' before i loose the will to live

Andre, why are you after the 77? is it because it's so rare

I haven't seen one before - they're even rarer than the 88 and 99. I'm not sure the arm was that good on either.
    Paul.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur07 View Post
    What kind of interference are you referring to? Give me idea of what you want me to look out for.
    I don't think I've seen many 2 armed Lencos with one on the left hand side - most are at the 11 o'clock position. My thinking was the same as yours, I'd guess - to put it there means it has to have a plinth that's very deep (front to back) & I think that's trickier to house on a rack.

With the arm on the left, the cartridge is tracing an arc close to, and just upstairs from the motor. The motor is a powerful beast & I'd have thought these factors have to increase the possibility of the cartridge picking up some hum.

I'm ILOB.

Nope it was a ebay seller but they all gone now
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I don't think I've seen many 2 armed Lencos with one on the left hand side - most are at the 11 o'clock position. My thinking was the same as yours, I'd guess - to put it there means it has to have a plinth that's very deep (front to back) & I think that's trickier to house on a rack.

With the arm on the left, the cartridge is tracing an arc close to, and just upstairs from the motor. The motor is a powerful beast & I'd have thought these factors have to increase the possibility of the cartridge picking up some hum.
    I see, that's what I thought you'd be suggesting. Your right, the arm is close to the motor, tracking a course above the idler wheel more specifically with the motor back left. I'll take a pic with the platters off tomorrow if I get the opportunity.

Right, forgive me if this helps not one jot but I've just enlisted the help of my handy clothes peg and dangled the cart over the platter in playing position (not playing record) with volume up very, very loud - there is possibly a subtle hint of hum. When I move the cart back to holding position away from the motor nothing changes though. (I wouldn't play a record at that volume btw) I've just listened to the run in of Kate Bush, 50 words for snow, (a very 'quiet' record) at very high volume - nothing there, just usual surface noise.

Just repeated first test again - christ mate its bloody minimal if that - it's certainly not an issue for me. I can remember my old Rega P3 - it hummed like a bloody bumble bee at the slightest hint of loudness Bear in mind I'm using a basic cart but very sensitive EMI speakers. Dont know if that has any bearing on matters.

Of course you don't have to put it centre left as I've done here Chris, I don't know what the spindle to pivot distance is on your arm but if you put it further back left it will comfortably miss the motor. That's the beauty of putting an arm on the separate plinth, I can move it if necessary - even to the back edge of the main plinth if needed. I printed the Rega 222m template on to clear acetate which makes it simple to re-position the arm. You can also piss about with VTA if your arm is a bit basic like mine. It worked out well with the stacked platter in any case, the plinth was originally built to match the main plinth for height, etc, but once I stacked the platter there was no going back if you know what I mean. But tbh, like I said, I don't think its going to be an issue. Have you incorporated your second arm into the main plinth Chris, or is it on a separate block?
    Paul.

I'm ChrisB.

That's a useful bit of experience, thanks.
    Here's my plinth as it was when the ply was rough cut. It's going to be a slate & ply sandwich so there's a layer of slate to go top and bottom yet. Both arm boards will be slate too.
    Things have moved on a little since then.....but not much!

Note the arm rest!
    I'm onto the MkII version of that now, with it lying on it's side and a V-groove in the top & a flat bottom to stop it rolling, all very precisely cut with a Swiss Army Knife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast