+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tannoy Westminster Royal HE Upgrades

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    I have been told the same story by my mate Mike who has recently hard wired a pair of Westies up your way for someone and told me about the poor quality crimped type spade connectors on something of such high cost, made me wonder a bit if my Sterlings are wired like that inside and perhaps all their other models in the Prestige range
    I think you can be totally confident that the Stirlings will be pretty much the same in terms of internal component quality and build quality. In accordance the spirit of this forum I will refrain from commenting further.

The good news is that it will be easy to recify on the Stirlings because they are much simpler inside.

D
    "Madness is continuing to do things the way you have always done them and expecting a different outcome"

SYSTEM SME 20/3A Record Deck, Series V arm and Denon DL304 MC cartridge, Whest PS30R Phono Stage
    Meridian GO8.2 CD Player, Meridian GO2 Dual Mono Control Unit, Meridian G57 Power Amplifier
    Tannoy Westminster Royal HE loudspeakers
    Cabling - Isotek Supreme Mains, DNM Interconnect & speaker cable. Stands - Hi Fi Rack Podium

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    Hello David

I have read your paper on the Tannoy upgrades

Very impressed with the procedures you have undertaken

I was surprised by the plinth movement being so important ,

I do agree that a sound footing for any speaker will reap rewards , is you floor in the listening room timber floorboards, tung and groove floor panels or concrete.
    With the SS feet you had made do you use them sitting on the points directly into the carpet or sitting on the washers as well ?

Very surprised by the internal component quality on a speaker system of that value , When soldering direct did you use lead solder or silver ?

Happy listening
    Hi Al

Apparently minor changes can have a telling effect. The plinths are a good example

The floor is concrete. The shims (washers) are effectively spacers which go between the feet and the cabinet and the feet go directly through the carpet.

The solder used was standard Ersin Multicore which I think is lead based.

The really sad bit is that on a product of this class such basic improvements should produce such dramatic improvements

David
    "Madness is continuing to do things the way you have always done them and expecting a different outcome"

SYSTEM SME 20/3A Record Deck, Series V arm and Denon DL304 MC cartridge, Whest PS30R Phono Stage
    Meridian GO8.2 CD Player, Meridian GO2 Dual Mono Control Unit, Meridian G57 Power Amplifier
    Cabling - Isotek Supreme Mains, DNM Interconnect & speaker cable. Stands - Hi Fi Rack Podium

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I would think that your paper should be added to the section "The Knowledge"

http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

It is likely to be of interest to some, including me even though I don't own a pair (Geek alert)
    Hi Rob

Not sure whether I can do that. I will have a word with Marco.

Glad you liked it

David

I'm ChrisB.

David, if you'd like to see it enshrined as part of 'The Knowledge', then perhaps you could let me see it & I can discuss it with Nick & Barry, who also organise that part of the forum. Is it in pdf format?

Thanks to Rob for making the suggestion.

I'm Paul.

Thanks to David for providing his document which made very interesting reading. It spurred me onto checking the internals of the Turnberry SE's and I'm pleased to report that Tannoy appear to have got part of their act together (lets just say that the accountants haven't had it all their own way). Crossovers are all hard wired with high grade components and all wiring appears to be VDH silver plated high purity copper. The cheap and nasty spade connectors have gone and from the high quality (which hey are) binding posts to the crossover, the cable is terminated in a very high quality and very firm fitting gold plated spade connector so no real benefits IMHO from soldering this connection. I was going to remove the drive unit fully, but partial removal and the obvious pull of some very string magnets made me think twice as there's precious little play between crossover wires and driver wiring!

From what I have seen though I'd say that for the Turnberry SE, the crossover quality and internal wiring plus binding post quality is very good and best left well alone. Can't comment on the connectors for the driver itself but they sound pretty good as is so I didn't tempt fate by going any further.

I'm David.

Hi Paul

If you are happy that is all that matters. As to the detail of your comments I will not reply publicly but suffice it to say things are not always as they appear superficially.

I have sent you an email with a more detailed response and I hope it is helpful

Kind regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Thanks to David for providing his document which made very interesting reading. It spurred me onto checking the internals of the Turnberry SE's and I'm pleased to report that Tannoy appear to have got part of their act together (lets just say that the accountants haven't had it all their own way). Crossovers are all hard wired with high grade components and all wiring appears to be VDH silver plated high purity copper. The cheap and nasty spade connectors have gone and from the high quality (which hey are) binding posts to the crossover, the cable is terminated in a very high quality and very firm fitting gold plated spade connector so no real benefits IMHO from soldering this connection. I was going to remove the drive unit fully, but partial removal and the obvious pull of some very string magnets made me think twice as there's precious little play between crossover wires and driver wiring!

From what I have seen though I'd say that for the Turnberry SE, the crossover quality and internal wiring plus binding post quality is very good and best left well alone. Can't comment on the connectors for the driver itself but they sound pretty good as is so I didn't tempt fate by going any further.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoyman View Post
    Hi Stuart

Conventional wisdom would indeed suggest that low power valves are the right option but with well set up, well matched system solid state has it all - power, delicacy, detail across all genres.

Don't get me wrong I love the sound of valves but they just don't pass the even handedness test in my system.

Some people take the view that they should tune their system to handle their preferred music type. I would strongly disagree. If a system will not handle all genres it is clearly doing something wrong.

David
    Not another David that owns Westies. David I was inspired after reading your paper to apply some of those mods to my cabinets and drivers.
    Thanks BTW
    Dave

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by daveskis View Post
    Not another David that owns Westies. David I was inspired after reading your paper to apply some of those mods to my cabinets and drivers.
    Thanks BTW
    Dave

Hi Dave

If you would like any further information about this do please feel free to contact me and I will be delighted to help if I can.

Kind regards

David

I'm Oliver.

Default Follow up to HE cross over upgrades

Hello,
    I was hoping to pick this thread up as I am in need of assistance upgrading my Westie HE crossovers. Are there resources available?
    Thanks for any assistance.
    Oliver

I'm Andrew.

Speak to Paul @ Reference Fidelity Components
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12