+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Celestion 44 - Restoration Thread

I'm Geoff.

I'd steer clear of silver for wiring and crossover construction inside speakers as a rule, experiment by all means, as it can work, but good quality copper seems to give far more predictably satisfactory results. I've tried both.

I'm Andrew.

TBH i did buy 10 meters of 1mm solid core shielded copper for the job of rewiring the speaker and rebuilding the x-o so to keep costs down I'll stick with that. Additionally I want an all copper setup. My reference system is entirely wire-up in silver, cartridge tags right the way through to the power leads, even the 1210's intrinsic wiring is silver. The valve setup has remained copper, so I think this is the way I shall continue.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Nobody.

For Vintage speeka's Ive always used Kimber 'TCX' for rewire's, Ansar Polpropylene caps, Any power resistors (Isnt in the Mk.1, 44's) Mill's 'MRA 12' wire wounds..

I'd probably replace the old cheap solder tags on that brown board with some Ag plated turret tags, not sure if you can get them in but i find the WBT-0730.12 platinum plated posts excellent value for money (I have some gold '0763's if you want em)..As for solder i switched to Mundorf.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 14-11-2012 at 11:27.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234