+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Fi Pyramid scheme

I'm Alan.

Smile Hi Fi Pyramid scheme

I never really did this before, but in support of the newly re-launched & improved AoS: I'm not sure how interesting pictures of black boxes are, but this seems to be the done thing. Yes, I know that:

It is a little ugly

It's not on a proper rack

The designer of most of this kit assures me it is not fussy where it is placed, and thankfully neither is my wife! (I secretly quite like it).

Note the unique stepped pyramid design designed to enable me to sacrifice the still beating heart of a measurement obsessed objectivist at the peak on each new moon to the god of musicality.

Also Joe Ackroyd's last designs, apparently his finest. I truly agree. Accessorized with Jim's tweeter surrounds.

Don't know why, but these Royds like to be placed really far apart, further than the distance to the listener (by up to twice as much apparently!) - they require very little toe - in, and sound absolutely huge! There is never a hole in the imaging and they are also the least fussy speaker to place I have ever known, but experimentation certainly has paid off. They easily go deeper in the bass than a much larger AR acoustic suspension speaker I refurbished.
    Last edited by Alan; 24-02-2009 at 16:19. Reason: Added additional 'Roydiness'

Hey! as long as it sounds good, right?

NVA crossed my radar just before i went valve.

How are those tweeter surrounds? i'm thinking of getting a set but only if they are indispensible

Ta
    ---------------------------------------------------
    recovering audioholic

Technics: SL 1210 mk2 / KAB PS1200 psu /Trans-fi Terminator / AT-OC9MLII / WD ph3s /Bluesound node 2i/Musical Fidelity Ms3i/ WADkit 6550 / Tannoy revolution xt8f

Gareth.

I'm Alan.

It sounds wonderful mate, thanks for your comments.

The tweeter surrounds are great, though I'm not sure about indispensable....I've eulogised over them in the past, so has Rob (Filterlab) - its all in the archive - and think they offer a tangible improvement in clarity, mid-bass (surprisingly) and also imaging. Once the wave forms are cleaned up the speakers just communicate more effectively.

I presume Jim Goulding still posts here? He makes them and also offers a money back trial period. Jerry (JandI100) also has experience with them, and sent a trial/demo set around the country on wigwam. Ask him if he knows where they are for a demo, it'll just cost you the postage to the next prospective punter.
    Best regards, Alan
    Also playing on AudioChews

I'm Alan.

Lightbulb Equipment List

I've just realised I haven't put in a list. There is an old one in the welcome pages somewhere but it will be out of date now, and a list will help to make sense of this. Main point of interest is the stock looking Arcam CDP which is actually very special. It is the latest version by the Audioceller (Kevin Green) and hasn't yet been superseded to my knowledge. Pukka.

SOURCE

Arcam Alpha 5+ [Modified by Audioceller to include Nos conversion] - (NVA SuperSoundpipe)

Second source: Beresford 6/4 - (NVA Soundcord)

PRE-AMP

NVA P90 (twin pot Passive)

TREBLE AMPS

(NVA soundpipe) NVA A40 ,NVA LS1

BASS AMPS

(NVA soundpipe) NVA A70, NVA LS3

SPEAKERS

Royd Revelation RR3
    Best regards, Alan

I'm Alan.

Ah - that's better; longer cables mean a more sensible configuration. The addition of some stands unique isolation feet and the removal of all that weight from the CD player makes quite a difference as well. It'll all go onto granite soon. Closer & closer...

Best regards, Alan

I'm Lucky.

Gotta love those NVA bits. I've never had a system with all matching kit but it does look great and my significant other (t' missus) would love it.

I've never met Richardv either but he does seem fun!

I'm just imagining the enormous upgrade that you'd get from placing your gear on a performance rack. It just doesn't bear thinking about other than a major lift in dynamics, separation, detail - including inflection and texture, not to mention a much bigger/deeper soundstage.

I'm Alan.

Steve - the thought crosses my mind from time to time. The CDP is now on a whacking great Granite slab, which means those carbon & milled brass standsunique supports are giving their best. Les, who modifies the Avondale equivalent to my modified Arcam, recommended this very product for these players, so I am happy to benefit from his experience.

The amps are cased in acrylic, which has pretty decent properties when it comes to dissipating vibration & microphonics. At least Quadraspire seem to think so. Interestingly Richard (designer NVA) has told me these amps are not particularly fussy where they are placed - that's not to say there is no merit in racks for NVA gear of course - but as a house move is on the cards soon a new rack may appear.

My Beresford 6/4 comes back from loan today - I'm going to try more standsunique feet and a granite placemat under it.
    Best regards, Alan

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Alan,

Nice set-up. I'd love to hear some NVA gear. Fancy a little bake-off sometime? I may be going to Rye, near Hastings, to visit a friend in the not too distant future

I hear what you're saying regarding stands, but trust me, Steve's right. One thing disregarding anything else, is that you won't be doing your preamp any favours having it sat so close to the huge transformers in your power amps, and the magnetic field that surrounds them.

If there's any way you can space things out a bit more by separating them from each other then you should notice an improvement

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

That I'm aware of. Unfortunately at this time to move the preamp means using inferior (but longer) interconnects. I have another pair of high end I/Cs coming, so I hope for a little more flexibility in the coming days.

Let me know when you plan on coming down - I can't promise much (except a drink & some food) with such a small house & large family, but I'm sure a couple of hours of distraction can be organised for the clan! I'll pm my email to you in case we miss each other.
    Best regards, Alan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast