+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What headphones are you using with the Bushmaster?

I'm Bjorn.

Default What headphones are you using with the Bushmaster?

Hi,

I have used the Beresford Bushmaster for a couple of months now (replacing the Rega DAC). It is a great DAC, and now I am thinking about starting to use the headphone amp as well.

I currently have a couple of headphones, but have not find the perfect match with Bushmaster yet.

AKG K701 - The BM drives it well I think, but I do think the K701's are a bit bright and lack some bass (I am not a basshead though)

Audio Technica M-50 - Nice headphones, but the BM is just to much for these easily driven phones.

I am now considering some Beyers. DT880 250 ohm or 600 ohm. Any thoughts on that? Also been considering the HD650, but I have been using it before and it is a bit dark for my taste.

What headphones are you guys using and any reccomendations?

The good thing about the headphone section on the Bushmaster is that it is relatively easy to modify in order to suit various headphones. But soldering skills are required for that bit. If you are DIY friendly then the choice of headphones can be extended and the BM modified accordingly.

I'm Bjorn.

Well, I am no into DIY. From what I have been reading and experienced the BM 'prefers' high impedance headphones. I will order a pair of Beyer DT880 and Sennheiser HD650 to try out.

Would be great to hear what headphones other Bushmaster owners are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    Well, I am no into DIY. From what I have been reading and experienced the BM 'prefers' high impedance headphones.
    The current production of the Bushmaster DAC is set up for headphones from 25R to 600R. But with such a wide impedance range to cope with there will of course be a trade off at either end of the scale. Maybe a gain selector would be a good idea .
    For DIYers with surface mount soldering ability it is possible to adjust the gain versus impedance range. I'll start a thread on that sometime soon.

I'm Bjorn.

I have just ordered the HD650 and should have them tomorrow. They are 300ohm and should match the BM well, or? The only thing I am a bit afraid of is the dark signature of the HD650. But I have read reports here in Norway about users that are really satisfied with the HD650 and BM. What do you think, Stan, about the HD650 and the BM? An alternative could be the HD600 that has a bit more neutral sound.

I can return the headphones within 14 days, so if I am not satisfied the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm will be the next to try out.

I am so satisfied with the BM as a source in my speaker setup (Naim Nait 5i> Linn 109/Rel T5). If I now also could find the perfect headphone match that would be great!

I have no issues with the HD650. Doesn't sound dark to me with the BM.

I'm Bjorn.

I recieved my HD650 yesterday and can just say that they sound fantastic with the Bushmaster! Nice and warm sound. Some say that these headphones are a bit slow, but I do not think this is the fact with the BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    I recieved my HD650 yesterday and can just say that they sound fantastic with the Bushmaster! Nice and warm sound. Some say that these headphones are a bit slow, but I do not think this is the fact with the BM.
    I have been saying that about the HD650 when used with the BM but I doubt many believed me. Headphones like the HD650 need a headphone amp with good to excellent damping factor in order to dampen any break up of the signal. Thanks for the confirmation of my own test results .

I'm Hugo.

This thread is useful to me in that I need a decent headphone amp to run off the music PC. I was looking for one with USB, but since I already have the HiFace Evo, that's rather unnecessary. The Bushmaster would appear to be all that I could want, almost irrespective of price.

I shall be getting some decent 'phones in due course (maybe the AKG K701 or even one of the better Grados) but would the Bushmaster be very happy in the meantime driving my elderly Grado SR60s?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    I shall be getting some decent 'phones in due course (maybe the AKG K701 or even one of the better Grados) but would the Bushmaster be very happy in the meantime driving my elderly Grado SR60s?
    It will drive them with ease .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast