+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Cable help please!

I'm Bernie.

Thanks guys,
    I'm over the moon that you all took the trouble to help me out and give me your advice, plenty of leads to keep me going!
    Bernie

I'm mike.

Hi fi Collective are very good but I think expensive for some bits. I got cable from http://www.studiospares.com/page/home/
    The Klotz comes under guitar cable....
    Plugs from CPC 'cos they are just up the road

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty bearing View Post
    Hi fi Collective are very good but I think expensive for some bits. I got cable from http://www.studiospares.com/page/home/
    The Klotz comes under guitar cable....
    Plugs from CPC 'cos they are just up the road
    As you say Mike , the AC110 is very good cable indeed for the price and very easy to work with .

I'm Nobody.

I think i might try some of that as i need a couple of 3m leads that would otherwise cost me a fortune to buy that length. I have used Klotz before when i used to have a synth studio so i know how nice, flexible & easy to strip it is...

I'm mark.

Default Klotz

Its funny this has come up, I've just made a cable with Klotz(microphone ) cable.

Its between Avondale 102, and mono 110's, 4pin din to phono's (I hate soldering dins!!) and an immediate improvement over std Flashback cable.

My only gripe is Audiospares is 2 miles away from me, but won't allow me to collect

Van damme XKE is also on my list to build my own interconnects, and tonearm lead.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddypipsqueek View Post
    For the wire & plugs try HIFI Collective - www.hificollective.co.uk/

The Mundorf stuff - Mundorf 3 x 0.5m 99%silver/1%gold twist cable SGW305 - is very good but expensive. This is my first choice for important internal wiring. Use one for live and the other 2 for neutral to getting shielding. It can be a little bright.

Alternatively try the pink stuff below it marked - Silver Plated Copper Screened wire. I have used the pink stuff on headphones and amps and found it quite good (& cheap).

The best interconnects I have made used the Duelund silver foil but they only need to be short.

As a start I would try the Neutrik plugs on this page - http://www.hificollective.co.uk/comp...rca_plugs.html. I don't think plugs are that important and you have to think about the sockets as well when you go boutique.

I prefer WBTs for soldering - the Eichmanns have plastic bodies - but it was along time ago and I'm better with the iron now.
    That's where you would be very mistaken Plugs are very important. You get what you pay for up to a point, but try the same (decent) cable with a variety of plug designs and quality and you'll soon realise just how important that the plugs (and decent soldering skills) are.

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    That's where you would be very mistaken Plugs are very important. You get what you pay for up to a point, but try the same (decent) cable with a variety of plug designs and quality and you'll soon realise just how important that the plugs (and decent soldering skills) are.
    I'd agree with that. I've used plugs at around £1 each and found the fit and manufacturing quality to be pretty poor. The WBT locking type are beautifully made and fit superbly but at a price.
    I stick with Neutrik as frankly they're bloody cheap and do the job. My kit, while its pretty good to me probably isn't in the bracket where plugs show a huge difference in the sound quality.
    So why do I get this urge to try some Eichmann Bullets?

I'm Deleted.

I would second Paul's post above; in my experience plugs can make a significant difference.
    Account Deleted

I'm Adrian.

I haven't had the money to do a real test. I have WBTs on my headphone amp and do rate them but at a price. 4 plugs (even s/h) can be £40 and with sockets to match over £100. That's serious money if you are new to DIY cables and are learning the soldering skills. When I was making up cables it was to get a good sound at a realistic price and I think the neutrik plugs are a good starting point.

I'm mike.

Plus the satisfaction that comes with making something for yourself. This is why men have sheds after all

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast