+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Tannoys, folks?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by stupinder View Post
    Great big horns!!! :-)
    I reckon the best bit of advice is the last comment from Jerry - buy loads second hand until you find something that matches you, your room and budget.
    A few ago I went through a similar process (though on a less grande scale). I had Audio Physics, Celestion A1 (Lovely speakers and shouldn't have sold them), Lowthers, Linn (and no doubt others I can't recall) and finally settled on an ancient pair of Japanese bookshelf speakers...though i must say they must have blooming big bookshelves in Japan - The Victors have been with me for 2 years now and MAY get moved out later today in pref' for something new i'm trying.
    Last time I got a great big horn, the wife wouldn't speak to me for a day!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    I haven't heard the glenair models, but i have heard the turnberry se, and i liked them so much i bought some! Considering the size of the speaker, the bass quality/quantity is superb, and doesn't boom when placed close to room boundaries, even in my small/medium 5 x 4 metre room. I did notice the famous tannoy dc sharpness, which can be reduced by pointing the speakers down the room, instead of toed in facing the hot spot, as advised in the owners manual. So just point them down the room and enjoy!
    The feedback on (and off!) the forum so far seems unanimous regarding the Turnbery SE's whilst the Glenair continues to divide opinion.

If I could afford 3 pairs of loudspeakers, I would have them all but it would end in divorce so I'd end up having to sell a few pairs and be back to square one. That's the issue for my room. It's 4.5m by 6.5m and is open plan onto a 7m by 4m room which is open plan onto another 4m by 3m room. The middle room has a very high ceiling. That's a lot of corners to consider (bass) and a large volume to drive (bass again). It's why many loudspeakers come and go. I get one that manages to drive the space (horning Agathon Ultimates) but the bass boom was sometimes enough to turn your insides to jelly

The Harbeths are truly lovely speakers. They work very well except that this particular room seems to suck some of the bass performance out of them unless a lot of watts is applied, then things get a little too loud

We'll see what effect Jerry's power amp has (rumoured to be the one once used to kick start Berkeley Nuclear Power Station) as with spaces like this it can sometimes be a case of lots of watts (I remain to be convinced) or a synergy thing.

The Tannoys were one of a handful of ideas. Saw a pair of Horning Eufrodites I liked (I do like Horning speakers) but the wife took one look and brought the Sunday roast fork out indicating where she'd stick it if I brought even larger boxes than the Agathons into the room

The obvious choice some would say is bolt some subs (a pair) to the SHL5s but the expense for decent subs, additional wiring and space all means that's a no-no, so bigger boxes are order of the day. There's no substitute for cubes!

I've had some feedback RE build quality of Tannoys being variable and even "shoddy" which surprised me given the heritage and prices. The DC screech and honk issues are well documented and it's whether I could live with that which has prompted a listening session at the weekend. I may decide to keep the Harbeths as whilst a compromise they do seem to do everything else so well and the build quality is superb.

I'm Geoff.

I believe the Turnbury and Glenair both use the dual magnet 'tulip waveguide' type driver.

This can sound very good and seems marginally smoother at the top end as a rule than the 'pepperpot' types.

But, the single magnet, compression driver tweeter Tannoys with the 'pepperpot' waveguide, to me at least always seem to have more immediacy and transparency through the mid, which really helps you see into the music that bit more. the slightly less controlled top end, I'm used to and can live with, it helps to pick sources and cables that don't excite this.

I use and enjoy both types of Tannoy dual concentics by the way.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I believe the Turnbury and Glenair both use the dual magnet 'tulip waveguide' type driver.

This can sound very good and seems marginally smoother at the top end as a rule than the 'pepperpot' types.

But, the single magnet, compression driver tweeter Tannoys with the 'pepperpot' waveguide, to me at least always seem to have more immediacy and transparency through the mid, which really helps you see into the music that bit more. the slightly less controlled top end, I'm used to and can live with, it helps to pick sources and cables that don't excite this.

I use and enjoy both types of Tannoy dual concentics by the way.
    Interesting as the pepper pot type is the one most often recommended but least affordable!

It's strange, and I have just been in conversation with someone else on this, but most, if not all (bar one) musicians I know use either Harbeth or Tannoy loudspeakers at home, and of the Tannoy users, most use older MGs and tweaked crossovers or newer prestige models with pepperpot drivers. The one exception still uses some large cabinets containing 15 inch drivers!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Paul,

I was interested in the differences between Tannoy models as interest was piqued talking with someone last week who has spent a great deal of time and trouble building up his own refurbished 15 inch MG's with new cross-overs and cabs. he reckoned that the best way with Tannoys was old drivers (don't make 'em like they used to...sound familiar?) with modern crossover components.
    +1 and exactly my view, based on not an inconsiderable amount of experience of experimenting with and listening to various types of Tannoys, including the ones discussed here. Glenairs are largely a sonic abomination, as the drive units are too big for the cabinets, which creates all sorts of problems, and the Turnberrys are very good, compared with most modern speakers, but IMO, not *that* special - and certainly not capable of the magic of top-notch 15" Golds, with the best bespoke modern crossovers in optimally matched cabinets.

Furthermore, the latter route is considerably more cost effective than investing in new big Tannoys from the current Prestige range!

If you like the sound achieved by successfully carrying out the above, then I can tell you that no other speaker, at any price, will match it. That's not to say that they're perfect (no speaker is) but their addictive balance of sonic virtues is unique. It's really as simple as that.

Why not come and listen to my 15" MGs, with modded crossovers, in Lockwood Major cabinets? You'd be more than welcome, and I assure you rather more informed about what vintage Tannoys are capable of (including well fed and watered) when you leave!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Paul,

+1 and exactly my view, based on not an inconsiderable amount of experience of experimenting with and listening to various types of Tannoys, including the ones discussed here. Glenairs are largely a sonic abomination, as the drive units are too big for the cabinets, which creates all sorts of problems, and the Turnberrys are very good, compared with most modern speakers, but IMO, not *that* special - and certainly not capable of the magic of top-notch 15" Golds, with the best bespoke modern crossovers in optimally matched cabinets.

Furthermore, the latter route is considerably more cost effective than investing in new big Tannoys from the current Prestige range!

If you like the sound achieved by successfully carrying out the above, then I can tell you that no other speaker, at any price, will match it. That's not to say that they're perfect (no speaker is) but their addictive balance of sonic virtues is unique. It's really as simple as that.

Why not come and listen to my 15" MGs, with modded crossovers, in Lockwood Major cabinets? You'd be more than welcome, and I assure you rather more informed about what vintage Tannoys are capable of (including well fed and watered) when you leave!

Marco.
    Hi Marco

thanks for the kind offer, and if you were closer I'd take you up on that. As it happens I'm visiting two guys closer to home tomorrow, one with modified older 15MGs in custom GRF cabs and one with Turnberry SEs. I'll let my ears make the decision.

Had I a larger workshop, I would make the cabs myself, but luckily RFC uses a local cabinet maker, so I can have him build me some cabs including veneering south of £2K. I reckon another £300 for crossovers and £1200 for some decent MGs and there for less than new Turnberrys one could have some proper Tannoys. I agree RE the Glenairs. The cabinet proportions and design just looks too compact for the drivers but I guess with the right amp and room match they could be made to sound good.

If the Turnberry's do it for me, I can find some used cheaper than making up some "proper" ones and that would do me. If the difference is noticeable but small, it would be something that I could live with. The SHL5's are going to be a tough act to follow either way.

Hi Paul,

thanks for the kind offer, and if you were closer I'd take you up on that.
    No problem, mate. Do bear in mind that the offer includes putting you up for the night, as I wouldn't expect you to drive all that way and back in the same day. Anyway, mull it over and PM me, if you fancy it

As it happens I'm visiting two guys closer to home tomorrow, one with modified older 15MGs in custom GRF cabs and one with Turnberry SEs. I'll let my ears make the decision.
    I can tell you that both will sound VERY different. If the cabs and crossovers are right with the 15MGs, then they *should* blow the Turnberrys away, but of course much depends on how good the partnering systems are. The point to note here is that there is much more potential to be exploited with the 15MGs, but the Turnberrys are a ready-made 'sorted' solution.

Had I a larger workshop, I would make the cabs myself, but luckily RFC uses a local cabinet maker, so I can have him build me some cabs including veneering south of £2K.
    Sounds like a plan!

I reckon another £300 for crossovers....
    Soz, dude epic fail. That won't even cover the cost of all the capacitors, *if* you do it right!

My crossovers cost me around £1500, and that type of investment is what's needed to get the most from 15MGs. I used Clarity Cap MR caps throughout, Duelund resistors and Mundorf Air-Core Foil-coil inductors. If you want your Tannoys to sound like genuine high-end speakers, as opposed to just tarted-up DIY jobs, then nothing less will do.....

and £1200 for some decent MGs...
    Que? Is that for 12" ones? Think more like £1.8-2k for minty 15-inchers!

I agree RE the Glenairs. The cabinet proportions and design just looks too compact for the drivers but I guess with the right amp and room match they could be made to sound good.
    Possibly, but I'm really not a fan of their Tulip-Wave Guide tweeters either! Pepperpots are where it's at in Tannoyland.

If the Turnberry's do it for me, I can find some used cheaper than making up some "proper" ones and that would do me. If the difference is noticeable but small, it would be something that I could live with.
    It'll be interesting finding out what you think of the Turnberrys, so I look forward to reading your findings. You might love them, as they are pretty capable speakers. However, for me, 'proper' modern Tannoys start at Kensington SEs, and upwards. The Pepperpot tweeters and Alnico magnets make all the difference. I've heard the Kensingtons in Anthony TD's system many times, and they sound truly breathtaking on the end of his Soul Single-ended valve Monoblocks.

Anyway, let us know how you get on!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

£1500 for cross-overs? Thats insane

I know of a few DIY'ers who've made some pretty exceptional sounding GRF and Lockwoods using 15 inch HPD drivers. The cost (of supposedly very good) crossovers was £500ish in both cases (good quality components). Looking at the cross-overs, I know that I could source very high quality components and make my own for way less than that, hence a guesstimate at £300. If I were to buy ready made examples, then I could double that easily.

Talking of lockwood majors:

http://www.musicosis.co.uk/?p=797

£2500 all in? That's something of an audio bargain IMHO.

£1500 for cross-overs? Thats insane
    Lol - it all mounts up when you're buying the best bits, especially the best inductors! Might be different though, as you're in the trade

Talking of lockwood majors:

http://www.musicosis.co.uk/?p=797

£2500 all in? That's something of an audio bargain IMHO.
    Bargain doesn't even come close to covering it. Those *should* be awesome, although I'd rather have 15MGs in them, than HPDs...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - it all mounts up when you're buying the best bits, especially inductors! Might be different though, as you're in the trade

Bargain doesn't even come close to covering it. Those *should* be awesome, although I'd rather have 15MGs in them, than HPDs...

Marco.
    Agreed...It does seem an extraordinary bargain especially given said HPDs are refurbed, the crossovers are new and the cabs look to be very high quality and very solid. DIY-ing cabs would set you back (for the best timbers and veneers) between £500 and £1000 (including sundries). The veneer I have access to is sold in 8ft lengths (2ft wide) and costs £150 per sheet so easy to see how costs could rack up. Thats for the highest grade veneer available (trade price). The cheapest I've seen fully refurbed and serviced HPDs was about £600 the pair. In other words, how do they do it and make a profit?

Extraordinary bargain...I feel a phone call is in order

Must admit though, they are not the prettiest of loudspeakers. Its like having a small pair of wardrobes in the living room. Turnberrys look prettier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast