+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Technics SL-MCCXIV thread (SL1210 + SME IV)

I'm Peter.

Default Peter's Technics SL-MCCXIV thread (SL1210 + SME IV)

The long awaited SME IV arrived today, but I won't be able to install it until the weekend. I need some time and day light for that. Also added to the order were the "Feet 1" and the "audiophile" mat from Sound HiFi.

Tonight I installed the feet and the mat, I already had the KAB psu installed. I'm currently listening to "My Funny Valentine" from the 1964 Miles Davis group, a live recording. The rendition of the hall space is uncanny, I'm used to listening to live jazz in a 600 seat hall, and the feeling is just like being row 3 in my favourite hall. Of the two items I think the mat is probably the most marked, but I can't help feeling that the extra stability of the foculpod feet is a big plus over the stock feet. I had some very slight misstracking on this disk which is gone now.

The Kab psu is already a monster step forward over the standard power supply, but the addition of the feet and the mat are more than icing on the cake, they're an extra layer to an already tasty slab.

For those thinking of hotrodding an SL1200/SL1210 I believe the heirarchy is Power supply, feet and then mat. I'm still using the stock arm, albeit with Sumiko headshell, Cardas wires and a Thrunobalaxx weight.

cheers
    Last edited by Peter Stockwell; 11-02-2009 at 18:34. Reason: concision
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Buffet-blower.

Oooh...nice one Peter - I wait with baited breath to read of the SME exploits.

Plenty of pics too I hope
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Peter.

Richard,

I wanted to wait until I actually had the SME on the Teccie, but I ordered the SME in Decemeber and I was bursting with impatience . I'll be posting pictures soon.

cheers
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).

I'm Pete.

Peter, congrats. Very Cool!

My SME 309 just arrived from Soundhifi, and I will be performing surgery on my SL-1210 on Friday
    Hearing is believing

SL-1210 Mk5 w/Mike New Platter/bearing/armboard; Hynes SR5 DIY PSU;
    Zyx Airy3X; SME V; Hashimoto HM7 SUT; CJ PR15MkII Phono w/teflon caps.

Modwright LS36.5 Dual Mono Preamp & KWA 150 amp > Paradigm Ref 100 v.4s

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Peter, congrats. Very Cool!

My SME 309 just arrived from Soundhifi, and I will be performing surgery on my SL-1210 on Friday
    That means you'll be up and running before me! Great, let us know how you go on. i've been wondering about how to manage attaching the arm plate. I'm wondering if I'll want to return the deck to stock, In the back of my mind I've got this idea of an SP10 mkII, and of course I'd put the IV on that, if I ever got one.

cheers

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Oooh, exciting times are ahead chaps... We want all the gory details (with pics) in due course

Btw, it was nice chatting to you on the phone the other day, Peter. You're not at all how I imagined! But I guess you'll say the same of me

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Btw, it was nice chatting to you on the phone the other day, Peter. You're not at all how I imagined! But I guess you'll say the same of me

Marco.
    I've never spoken with a scittish before

I was just saying the same about you