+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: AlfaGTV's den

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    And i was far to quick to make evaluate the Bo!ng feet in my setup... :/
    I though initially they were great, upping the level of detail and pace. But after having listened to a few records more i missed something, the base and fundamental low notes. The great bass and slam of the Techy were gone... All in all i lost interest and thought most records sounded like shite.

Back in went the original feet. And yes, here's the music again with rythm, control, pace and some real grunt!

Sorry, but the Bo!ng are not staying in my setup. Made the Techy sound like a nutered, plastic lightweight..
    Really interesting conclusion. I wonder why it is so different?
    They did not make a massive difference in my set up over the Isonoe feet, but I am certainly not lacking the low notes. It's still there with grunt.
    I like what they do, and they are staying in my system. I still have pace, rhythm and grunt but with added "space" and "air" with slightly sharper edges to the notes.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mike.

Default AlfaGTV's den

Perhaps we seek different things in audio? And surely our systems will perform differently.

As i said in a later post, the differences are not big though. The Bo!ng did perform much better with 40mm M6 screws, improving lateral stability. Still running the RDC1-cones and plenty pleased with that!

I'm Mike.

Default AlfaGTV's den

Well, it was about time i got some proper speakers, wasn't it?

50Kg á piece, 15" woofer, 6" mid in its own enclosure (ventilated) and a peculiar, but good sounding tweeter in a horn setup. 98dB for a Watt!
    ElectroVoice PI 15-3

Let me just say that "caution is necessary"! They are extremely sensitive and do not dig deep, rolls off quite drastically from 85hz...
    But the presence is amazing and the SPL is easily frightening!

I'm Alan.

Ikea stool supports as well?

Those look somewhat large and what a sensitivity

Macca could use those on his EL84 single ended amp

I'm Mike.

Cheers Alan, yes, they are IKEA "stands"! Works surprisingly well as supports
    I havent tried it yet, but i do have a quad EL-34 based tube amp. That might work just fine!
    Right now they are powered by the Karan KA S270 which provides more juice than needed.

Are these known in the UK at all?

I'm Alan.

Oh yes, they are in every Ikea store.

I'm Mike.

I'm Mike.

So, these are the thingys that really elevated the performance of my Karan KA L! For about a week, that is... Bah, one of them went bad and spits out pops and crackling sounds into one channel.

Im sure Burson will adress this swiftly and correctly though!
    So for the moment its back to Bladelius Embla as an analog pre and digital hub, not a bad stand in.
    But having enjoyed the Karan KA L with the Burson OPA-V5-D it does not quite provide the same experience.

And on the SACD ripping i am pleased to tell you that all of my SACD's are now safely backed up to hard drive, and also enjoyed through file playback!

They have also been converted into 24bit/88.2khz PCM FLACs for my digital players that don't like DSD files. And either way they sound really nice! Right now listening to Genesis - Mama in its 24/88.2 form!

All of of these cymbals and synthezisers really enjoy the clarity and smoothness of HiRez!

All in all 130 SACDs have been backed up to harddrive!

I'm Mike.

Customer service from Burson have been very helpful which means my Karan KA L is now making excellent sounds with the aid of two pairs of Burson OPA V4 D! Communication is a little delayed which i assume is due to the time difference.

The V4's did not have the same, obvious, phases during breaking in as the V5 but the result sounds very much alike. Perhaps the V5 were digging out the minute details in a slightly better way but i wouldn't bet money on it. What they do equally well is the percieved dynamic improvement, the customary blackening of the sonic "backdrop".
    Basically, im once again a happy bunny!

And i have bought a newer DAC! This time a multi talented M2Tech Young DSD! Im sure it will perform beautifully with a RoonPi as streamer (or fed from the Bluesounds output)!

I'm Mike.

The Young DSD is going back, not to my satisfaction. Would be nice to hear it with a linear PSU just to hear the difference, if any, but i won't throw that kind of money at it...
    I've read some different views on it but had a hard time summing up what i really could expect. Now that ive heard it in my own system i can actually understand that the reviews i've read are all on the same track.

It has some very good connection options, accepting most sorts of PCM and DSD over its five digital inputs. Build and handling are all top notch and the remote works like a treat!

Sadly its audio signature is not what i'm looking for and to be quite honest my S.M.S.L M8 miniature DAC beats it hands down, even with it's puny little switch mode psu. Better resolution (markedly), clearer definition of soundstage, less grit, better bass both by defintion and heft and a livelier sound with great dynamics. (and it handles all the formats the M2Tech does)

So, case not closed... Have my eyes on a Exogal Comet with PSU upgrade which seems interesting but way more expensive!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast