+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Martin Logan Electromotion X

I'm Mark.

Default Martin Logan Electromotion X

Just taken delivery of these !

Delivered and installed by Marc and his great team at Fanthorpe's in Hull. They replace my much loved Sonus Faber Electa Amator II. The Logans sound great out of the box even though they do benefit from some running in which won't be a problem! They are the first major upgrade for awhile and have already opened up the soundstage in width and depth and the imagery wow ! The Fabers were not poor in these areas but the Logans take everything to another level.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Chris.

great near-field sound?
    Chris.

I'm gone.

Fab, congratulations.

I love the electrostatic sound - some ML CLS2a full rangers are defo among the best speakers I have had.

What amp are you driving them with?

I'm Mark.

Amplification is Krell KRC 3 Pre feeding Krell FPB 200c. Front end is Pink Triangle Anniversary SE with SME V and Koetsu Rosewood and Iota Signature Reference balanced phono stage along with Lyngdorf CD1 transport and Cullen Stage 4 modified PS Audio Link 3 DAC. All connections are balanced using DPA Blsck Slink with Transparent Music Wave speaker cables.

Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm gone.

Ah, yes, I saw the KRC 3 in the pic - I used to have one, lovely preamp!!
    The FPB200 should certainly be up to the job.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    great near-field sound?
    I use them firing down the long length of the room so I am around 16 feet away from them. When I auditioned them they were firing across the room so they were 6 to 8 feet away and sounded absolutely fine. The important thing is to have some space behind and to the sides of them.

I'm Phil.

yes i saw the fanthorpes thread about these being delivered . they are tremendous speakers which i have heard . i very much miss my martin logans [summit x]
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Mark.

Well things the sound is improving as they run in, any slight brightness there might have been has gone and the bass is starting to get a bit more tactile too. Don't get me wrong these speakers are very detailed and poor recordings are still poor but the key to choosing these and the Sonus Fabers before them was listenability, I am more than happy to listen to early digital recordings on cd which are a little on the "harsh" side in the top end, as the Logans let the musicality shine through. People often refer to a a piece of equipment being suited to a certain genre of music, well for me it has to play anything and everything well! I could be listening to ACDC, Shirley Bassey, Christine Collister, Elgar, Ella Fitzgerald, Stan Kenton, etc, etc. The Logans may not be everyone's ideal speaker but for me the sound stage, imagery and musicality are delivered better than anything else at any way near the thier price. Although these speakers are more amp friendly than thier predessors with a sensitivity of 88db they do benefit from something with the ability to really handle a 4ohm load.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well done on acquiring your Marlin Logan speakers. I've always admired Martin Logan from the early days when I considered buying a pair of SL3s. If I wasn't content with my Quads, I would go for them; especially as they are in some ways visually less imposing than the Quads.

Totally agree with you regarding the need for a speaker to relay music in a way that pleases you, regardless of 'genre'. The rest of your system is excellent, so is this an end game for you?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread