+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotify...An instant digital jukebox

I'm Steve.

Default Spotify...An instant digital jukebox

Has anyone tried Spotify yet?
    Sadly it doesn't seem to want to work in the USA, but fine here in the UK.

Looks like itunes, but steams instant complete songs/albums/playlists at about 160k.
    OK, not great quality, but astonishing breadth of choice. Basically download software (its by invitation...see below)
    They will probably put more adverts in to try and encourage subscriptions as time goes on..
    I'm using it via Airfoil to send music round the house, and there are often huge numbers of songs on playlists.
    I'm addicted

https://www.spotify.com/en/

I'm not sure I understand what this does that isn't available free through internet radio?

Tim

I'm Steve.

Hi Tim
    My mate in Florida has sadly discovered that this doesn't work in the States.

Basically with Spotify you can search for an artist or band and up will come a playlist.
    Often of virtually every popular track...click on whatever track you want and it plays instantly. It streams at 160k.
    No downloading to your hard drive.

So...I've had it streaming from my imac to Stan's 7510 DAC's in the main systam and in my kitchen system for hours at a time.

Word Magazine have even come up with their own reader playlist...a great way to listen to new music.

I'm Steve.

This is what it looks like..Click on the first or any track and it starts playing them in sequence.

I'm Lee.

It's no longer invite only. Yes, it's brilliant. Some obscure searches result in hits for artist. It does LastFM scrobbling. Really nice.

It's a great service! The sound quality isn't that good but it's a fantastic way to discover new music and re-discover old

Not bad at all. It also installs and runs perfectly on Ubuntu (with wine).

This is fantastic- where's the catch? Surely the record companies can't be too happy?

Quote Originally Posted by mwahahaha View Post
    This is fantastic- where's the catch? Surely the record companies can't be too happy?
    No catch. Spotify has made deals with the record companies

edit: Just to clarify, you listen to the music through Spotify, you don't download it.
    Last edited by Class; 08-03-2009 at 07:59.

I'm Steve.

Whilst driving this week, I caught a Radio 4 program about George harrison and found out that he had produced an album by Ravi Shankar called Chants of India. I have it somewhere...but misplaced it.
    So quick search on Spotify and there it is, playing instantly on to my main system via Airfoil into an Airport express from the Mac.
    The sound is quite acceptable also (through Standac 7510/6/4 )
    After this had finished I then I was in the mood for some laid back stuff...so searched for Windham Hill...a huge playlist popped up and was on for the rest of the afternoon.
    I've read that they are adding vast amounts of music every week...the record companies accepting that if you can't beat 'em...join 'em.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast