+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did prog rock really die in 1975 ??

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes indeed, Rob.

Mr "Wallace", funny as it may be to read once, if you persist in just writing gibberish your posts have no purpose, so your posts and you will be removed.

The ball is in your court. If you wish to remain a member then please write in English.

Thank you.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm not responding to any of the previous replies to my post because they're either: a) derogatory and closed-minded or b) unreadable and I can't be bothered deciphering them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Indeed, although one would be hard pressed to truly identify a modern prog rock band, do they still exist?
    There are many prog bands still around nowadays, I saw a fair few at the Summer's End prog festival (http://www.summersend.co.uk/). Just to name a few:
    Threshold, Pagan's Mind, Pain of Salvation, The Flower Kings, Strange Fish, Dream Theater, Ayreon (although more of a project rather than a band)...

They may not be to everyone's taste (including classic prog fans), but they are prog nonetheless.
    Come the ReVolution...

I'm ILOB.

Think there are two lines of thinking those that think prog died in the 70s or those that that think it has morphed into something a bit different.
    I am in the second camp I agree with Rick O
    Pain of Salvation create some stunning music also off shots like Dial, Fragile Fastness, and Wastefall also create music with a progressive edge. So many bands doing music that either has prog rock influnces or even strictly prog rock
    Heres a good link for all things progressive
    http://www.proggnosis.com/
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ChrisB.

I don't like to seem negative here, but why does everything have to fit into a pigeon hole?
    It's all just music - well most of it anyway.

At the time that the term 'progressive rock' was coined it meant something rather different than what it means now to the idiots who are possessed with the idea that being partial to music of a particular semi-demi-micro-sub-genre somehow makes them more cool than someone who's got a copy of 'In the Land of Grey & Pink' that they quite like. We've all heard the immortal sentence "Yeah well, I prefer their first album, they were never the same after........" (insert an appropriate reference to selling out by appearing on Top of the Pops, or the death of legendary guitarist/nose flute player in bizarre lawnmower and cheese & onion toastie related yatching accident etc, etc)

At the time, you were 'prog' if you weren't a 'pop group' or a 'heavy rock' band. It became synonymous with keyboards and concept albums etc later than that. A cynic might say it died when it stopped progressing - probably pretty soon after it started.

HOWEVER, on this subject, I'm an uber-cynic so I'd suggest it wasn't ever alive - except in the imaginations of the pigeon-holers (...is that legal by the way?....) therefore, it couldn't have died at all.

Other examples of the narrow minds of the pigeon-holers:
    (Wasn't 'The Narrow Minds of the Pigeon-Holers' the limited edition ep released by Muscular Foot after Axel Pressbutton, the legendary Hammond organist, joined them in 1974?)

Dylan being called Judas
    Classical music snobbery
    Me nearly crapping myself at the last ever Jam gig in Brighton, 1982 because I had long(ish) hair!

Musical snobs are welcome to their opinions, but let's keep clear of over-categorising everything - Like I said before it's all just music.

I'm ILOB.

Genres often frustrate me but they are useful guide to understanding what the music sounds like and I am as guilty as any self obsessed music geek of being a music snob at times
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nick.

Prog does live as far as I'm concerned. The essence of prog has been incorporated into forms of music that weren't even thought of in 1975 and all the better for it. Recently I stumbled across Dan Swanö, a highly prolific multi-instrumentalist and producer who's mixed retro-prog with melodic death metal to great effect, most notably on his solo album 'Moontower' (1998) and the amazing album 'Crimson II' by Edge Of Sanity (2003) on which he played and produced pretty much everything. He's a big Marillion fan and their early keyboard sound comes through on his stuff.

Opeth is probably the most successful band mixing prog and death metal. 'Ghost Of Perdition' is well worth checking out, and their 'mellow' / acoustic album 'Damnation'.

I do wonder why some people seem blind to 'modern' progressive stuff. Marillion's early albums are classics, taken as 'wholes' but also managed to be a great singles band - perhaps this is why some people ignore them.

I personally hate pigeon-holing particularly as it tends to scare people off being more diverse in what they check out. Or because some stuff is considered 'cool' or more worthy than others. Being close minded is not cool
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 26-05-2008 at 10:53.

I'm Stu.

Dunno how relevant this is to this particular thread but i'm off to a free Prog festival at the end of August. Hawkwind are headlining and I wouldn't have pigeonholed them as being proggy - Astounding Sounds perhaps.
    Anyway heres the link http://www.festival-crescendo.com/ if any of you are in that neck of the woods say hello. I'll be the balding, four eyed freak with 2 long haired kids and ginger wife - when put like that who could resist??

Mainstream rock was killed off in the mid to late 70's. I believe that is a large reason why the music of groups like Supertramp, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Kansas and others is still in high demand today. After the disco/country fazes there was the birth of punk and then a new rock movement began. Call it a mutation, transformed, or it was simply morphed - it has changed.

I just accept it for what it is and all of it makes part of my digital library...
    Last edited by BajaGringo; 26-05-2008 at 20:00.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaGringo View Post
    I just accept it for what it is...
    Well said mate.

Music is music is music, as long as it's enjoyable who cares what 'category' it should fit in.

If I like the tune, I'll listen.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

It died when the gentleman in the picture started singing rubbish
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast