+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TT Conundrum

I'm InSpace.

Default TT Conundrum

I don't know what to do now.....

I'm not having much turntable related luck lately. First thing to go wrong was me buying (or at least paying for) a brand new Technics 1210 Mk2 from Empire Direct on New Years eve only to find out a couple of weeks later that they've gone down the bog. Yesterday I more or less got confirmation from the administrators that my money is gone for good! Which was nice.

In the meantime... I put my Denon DP-3000 on ebay and the other night someone hit the BIN button, 'great' I thought! Except the bugger hasn't paid up and refuses to respond to the invoices and messages I've sent him. I think he's pissing me about TBH.

So what do I do next?

I've got a budget of around £600 and a Denon TT that I can either keep or have another go at selling. Sooooo.... Do I keep the Denon and blow it all on a nice tonearm or persevere with selling it and splurge out on a different deck?

The thing is... financially speaking, this will pretty much have to be IT for the rest of this year, I've got too many other up and coming expenses which is going to limit my buying ability. The only thing I'll be able to do is spend bits n' bobs here and there on DIY tweakage...

Help!

Lost & adrift of the North East.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Deleted.

Did you pay for your Technics by credit card - if you did, I'm reasonably certain you can get your money back from them.

Report the other bloke to ebay and relist it - I don't know what to advise with regard to keeping the Denon - it's not my kind of deck but it may be yours.
    Account Deleted

I'm InSpace.

Oh yes...

I should have pointed out that I paid by debit card. I've had confirmation from the administrators that there's no money for us poor old customers. I've also opened a 'payment dispute' with my bank but it seems that I'm unlikely to get a refund from them unless they can reclaim the payment form the administrators... Which looks unlikely because the 'company' has no money.

To all intents and purposes its a write off... If I get anything back it will be a 'windfall' as far as I'm concerned at this point. Time to chalk it down to experience and move on...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nightmare - you're not having much luck, Mikey...

I've got a budget of around £600 and a Denon TT that I can either keep or have another go at selling. Sooooo.... Do I keep the Denon and blow it all on a nice tonearm or persevere with selling it and splurge out on a different deck?
    It's the latter option for me. The Empire saga has been a royal pain in the arse, and I hope you can get something resolved, but if you've got £600 to spend, not including what you get for the Denon, then I see no reason not to proceed with your original plan to buy a Techy (this time from a 100% reliable source) and spend the remainder of your budget on modifying it.

With the funds you've got available and those 'due in' you can certainly afford to buy a new 1210 and a Time Step PSU, along with some other mods, possibly a Jelco 250ST, which would work really well with your AT33PTG, or if not you could rewire the stock arm and invest in a decent mat and support feet, which would also give you excellent results

Marco.

P.S I you go the latter route I've got a nice headshell you can have at a good discount
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Funny you should say that bud....

I've been eyeing up a MK5G, but is it worth the extra £120 - £150(ish) over say, a MK2? It looks nicer but what about the arm? Is it that much better?

Then again there's always the used market (within reason)... The budget is slightly flexible which may give me more scope for the tonearm...

Decisions, desisions!...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm ILOB.

If you want good sound on the cheap its worth going down the same route as Beachy and go for the Old Lenco they are really capable and you can lots of fun altering and adapting £600 on a lenoc would get a decent arm and reasonable cart that would sound pretty good
    But Marco suggestion may give you more benfits when you have more spare money
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If you want good sound on the cheap its worth going down the same route as Beachy and go for the Old Lenco they are really capable and you can lots of fun altering and adapting £600 on a lenoc would get a decent arm and reasonable cart that would sound pretty good
    Grrrrr!

I gave away a mint(ish) GL75 to a forum member not so long ago. I even paid for the bloody postage!

Where the hell is Alex D these days anyway?
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Mikey,

I've been eyeing up a MK5G, but is it worth the extra £120 - £150(ish) over say, a MK2? It looks nicer but what about the arm? Is it that much better?
    Mmm... From experience, I'd say no to your first question if SPPV is the most important consideration, however there's no getting away from the fact that the MK5G is considerably better finished, and has a real 'feel' of quality about it.

With regard to the arm, I'd say that it's noticeably better, mainly through the improved OFC wiring and higher quality interconnects and phono plugs, but how significant that is all depends on your plans to change the arm or not...

Then again there's always the used market (within reason)... The budget is slightly flexible which may give me more scope for the tonearm...
    My choice would be to go for a new one so you know exactly where it's been... It's a bit like marrying a virgin instead of a hooker

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Hmmm... well pulling the arm apart and doing a re-wire wouldn't scare me too much. If that would do the trick I'd probably be happy to live with it for the rest of the year or so... but a better arm would certainly be on the cards in the long run.

Thing is... whats this 'titanium' thing all about then?

I've a suspicion that it's just hype TBH, possibly some bits are 'titanium coloured' but there's no actual performance advantage. But thats just a gut feeling, I'd be happy to be proved wrong!... Anyone?
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Jason.

Mike,

PM me the details of your ebay buyer - he may be the same bloke that dicked me around when he bought my Ittok off me. Took a long while and the threat of further action to get him to pay, then PayPal kept the payment pending positive feedback - needless to say he wasn't forthcoming in that. Ended up circumventing PayPal's hold by refunding a penny, but a right royal PITA all the same...

Jason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast