+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade the PSU or the Regs?

I'm Adrian.

Default Upgrade the PSU or the Regs?

Apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I was considering the value of upgrading the 15v PSU purchased with my Caiman. I compared Stan's PSU with a SM and a linear PSU, both 15v, without noticing any audible difference. All were of similar price bracket so perhaps I should not have been surprised. I suspect the additional filtering within the Caiman may have made a contribution ironing out nasties. As much as I hate to admit it, big improvements usually cost big bucks. Whilst looking around the forum for inspiration I noticed some members have upgraded the regulators and I wonder if this might be more cost effective than spending a hundred pounds or more on a new PSU. I have these in mind: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/comp...lassd_reg.html Has anyone used these regs or recommend alternatives?

I'm Bernie.

I have those regulators in my Caiman and they work very well. There should be a thread somewhere on here with Caiman mods if you are serious about modifying yours.
    Bernie.

I'm Simon.

The Dexa regs are about average as regulators go, not up there with a decent shunt reg, WJ Superreg, Superteddyreg or any of the other well known pre built devices., they don't have a great rep for reliability however as seen by comments on diyaudio.com. I've had two fail out of 6 I purchased.

It's never one size fits all with regs you need to decide what is more important, bandwidth, absolute noise floor, Z out....
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I built two linear regulated supplies in one box using Avondale TPR2 regulators and actually removed the internal regulation inside the Caiman. This gave a much more noticeable result than using the Murata superregs with an external linear supply.

I posted what I did somewhere and will try to find a link.

Regards

Chris

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    I built two linear regulated supplies in one box using Avondale TPR2 regulators and actually removed the internal regulation inside the Caiman. This gave a much more noticeable result than using the Murata superregs with an external linear supply.

I posted what I did somewhere and will try to find a link.

Regards

Chris
    Yes this would be the best way to go. The internal regs will always introduce a bottleneck.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

MartinT Guest

Adrian, I used Dexa regs in the Caiman and they made a big improvement over the standard 7812/7805 ones. Now I have Paul Hynes modules in it and they are better still, but not as big a difference as going to the Dexas in the first place. I would rate the latter as good value for money.

Don't discount a better linear external PSU at some later stage, the internal regs work best when feeding off low noise DC.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Adrian, I used Dexa regs in the Caiman and they made a big improvement over the standard 7812/7805 ones. Now I have Paul Hynes modules in it and they are better still, but not as big a difference as going to the Dexas in the first place. I would rate the latter as good value for money.

Don't discount a better linear external PSU at some later stage, the internal regs work best when feeding off low noise DC.
    I would think that feeding the 2x regs with their own supplies and transformer windings would be a much bigger improvement than plugging in a shared power supply, but yeah I did notice a nice big difference when I swapped out my TC-7510 switching external PSU for a decent linear one.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread