+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyrus Two 2 (how to upgrade with PSX)

I'm Rob.

Default Cyrus Two 2 (how to upgrade with PSX)

Hi,

I recently got PSX for my Cyrus Two.

How do I connect to the Cyrus Two?

Simply insert the PSX plug? As I heard that could be other procedure.

Any experience from other members?

Admins, mods, please accept my apologies if I placed this post in a wrong place
    Rob

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Disconnect Cyrus 2 from mains.

Remove the amp top cover and locate the two fuses near the back? of the circuit board.

Remove said fuses, store safely and replace the cover.

The socket for the PSX used to have a form of blanking plate inserted into it. carefully prise it out, maybe getting it to tilt so a small screwdriver or strong tweezers can be used to remove it.

Position PSX to the right of the Cyrus 2, connect the umbilical and connect mains cable to the PSX only (if no vinyl used) or a second mains cable to the Cyrus 2 as well (the existing supply feeds the phono stage).

Switch PSX on and enjoy more power and weight in the sound
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rob.

Cheers Dave,

Looks like simple procedure.

But few questions risen...(as at present I do not use phono)

1. So no mains needed for Cyrus Two? Does it need at least some power for line preamp? Or the line preamp is passive in Cyrus?

2. Daft question probably, but what would happen if I connect PSX straight into Cyrus two without removing fuses mentioned? I though PSX would work that way (like double the power).

3. I can easy go back by putting back fuses, right? (if I do not like the sound).

Regards
    Rob

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

With PSX being used, the only thing the Cyrus 2 supply feeds is the phono stage. There is no preamp in a Cyrus 1 or 2, the line level signals going via the selector switch straight to the volume control and then to the power amp.

Using PSX with fuses left intact seems not to work to advantage. Best remove the fuses and keep them safe should you wish to convert back. No reason to go back, since adding the PSX adds some weight and takes the amp up to Audiolab 8000S level, and anyone who knows this latter model knows how lean toned it is

I'm Rob.

Will try this PSX adding now.

So what do you think which one sounds better?
    Cyrus two + PSX or AudiolabS.

I used to have Audiolab 8000a classic.
    Rob

I'm David.

I'd say they are similar generally, the Audiolab being a far nicer package. By then, Cyrus had gone away from Mission and when we went independant from our previous main shop in London, Cyrus wasn't part of our portfolio any longer.

There was a flurry of good £700 amps in the mid 90's. We had the Quad 77, Audiolab 8000S (UK version) and the Myryad MI-120, followed on by the AVI S2000 integrated at a grand or so.

I'm Rob.

I removed fuses and connected the PSX and the sound is better with more power, finesse and authority to the sound. I would say that is a wortfile upgrade.
    I wish now I could compare to my old Audiolab 8000a or to Quad33/405..

Thanks for the instructions.

Regards
    Rob

I'm Nobody.

You can use the old PSX as an upgrade for the old Mission 'PCMII' CDP aswell..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 01-09-2012 at 13:17. Reason: MISTAKE..

I'm Rob.

I would, but do not have that CDP. Btw, so this PSX (from link) can be only used for Cyrus Two and this PCM7000? any other models.

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/.../cyrus-two.htm
    Rob

I'm David.

A Quad 405-2 will have more of a "velvet" quality to the sound, not as lean and tightly damped. It purely depends on the needs of the speakers used as to which you'd prefer. The only old (pre 66) Quad preamp I'd really rate today (in stock form) is the later 44 model, as I could never get on with the 34 (or 306 power amp).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast