+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amp Hospital: Cyrus One

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    Thats exactly what I wanted to hear

For those that are interested I bought some chemical etcher & black spray paint today ready for the weekend. I did look into getting some nextel from Germany but it was a complete PITA so decided against it. I see Nextel is now used in interior design to make textured walls etc... different! thats for sure
    Interesting, I have a Systemdek III turntable painted in Nextel, which over the years has become sticky! I wonder if a simple spray job will be OK over the Nextel? Let me know how it turns out!

As for the PS caps you can't go wrong with Kendeils.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Nobody.

I bought a metal body Cyrus 1 a bit back which was in a right state, i stripped it & took it to be proffesionally re-sprayed in a very fine satin black splatter finish, looked brilliant.

I'm James.

Getting there....

I Haven't taken loads of pics as I've been concentrating too much !

So far:

Brushed on paint stripper, left for 15 mins, scraped off the Nextel, rinsed in warm soapy water, wet & dry, etch primer, dust coat.... now its another round with wet & dry.

It was quite shocking what poor quality the casting are - Lots of imperfections & I wonder if they used Nextel deliberately to hide how shite the castings were ? It seems like a good choice if you need to 'lose' lots of dips/bumps

Anyway, this ones smooth as a babies bum now.

After the dustcoat, ready for another sanding.... Next update tomorrow I expect.

I'm James.

Finally managed the topcoat today but the capacitors I ordered still havent turned up so I cant reassemble yet

Hopefully update tomorrow

I'm James.

Well that didn't go very well... Must have buggered up somewhere as the topcoat shriveled now have to re-strip the whole thing & start again

On the plus side all of the wima caps I ordered finally arrived, they had to send them twice due to some thieving post office worker I replaced all of the 1uf electrolytics with wima mkp & it seems to have made a large change in the sound signature of this little cyrus, its a lot smoother with less grain but the top end is quite revealing now... not sure my metal dome tweeters are a match made in heaven !

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post

Well that didn't go very well... Must have buggered up somewhere as the topcoat shriveled now have to re-strip the whole thing & start again

Take it & have it done professional like it will be worth while.

I'm James.

Wheres the fun in that ?

I'm James.

Finally got round to sorting this out today...

Flash shows up every little thing it actually looks nice in the flesh.

Internals are pukka, externals are errrr better than they were Had I taken rare birds advice it would undoubtedly look far better but I've never painted anything other than a bike frame 15 years ago so I wanted to give it a go & I think it turned out okay considering.

Overall a good mini project & its always nice to save something from a skip!

synsei Guest

Nice job James it looks great. How does it sound?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Nice job James it looks great. How does it sound?
    Cheers

It doesn't sound bad considering how little it cost (total after refurb is £42)

I would say the biggest improvement is in the phono stage which is very good after a recap & little tweaking (the low cut filter is passive so the input cap dictates the cut off frequency) doubling the size of these really opened up the bass - Quite anemic before.

Originally it sounded very analytical, actually reminded me of an old denon PMA... In a bad way! it still has a slight metallic edge but the bass region has really filled out which helps it overall - I think the stock input caps are too small which goes a long way to explain the "signature sound" of the Cyrus One - gutless bass & zingy treble.

In the past couple of weeks I've also repaired a Myst TMA3 & Linn Classik. Spent a few hours comparing them all today, the Myst blows everything else away...far superior. The Cyrus is a significant step above the Linn which was a surprise! Apples and oranges I know, would have expected some competition but it was obvious within seconds of switching the Linns are comparatively poor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast