+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amp Hospital: Cyrus One

I'm Nobody.

Why throw the Slit Foil idea out the window! Why didnt you fit new Slit Foils?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Why throw the Slit Foil idea out the window! Why didnt you fit new Slit Foils?
    2 reasons, firstly because they are £16 each & the amps only worth £75 on a good day. Secondly slit foils have lower impedance & better HF performance than regular caps, both of these "features" can be replicated by simply bypassing the regualr caps with films as I have done.

I'm Nobody.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    You disagree ?

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I disagree, kind of Slit foils are a way of making a capacitor behave like a load of smaller electrolytics, they'll have a much lower ESR.

While you will get the benefit of lower ESR at a higher frequency with the bypassing, you won't get the same at a low frequency as you'll be using some kind of standard electrolytic

So, kind of
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    I disagree, kind of Slit foils are a way of making a capacitor behave like a load of smaller electrolytics, they'll have a much lower ESR.

While you will get the benefit of lower ESR at a higher frequency with the bypassing, you won't get the same at a low frequency as you'll be using some kind of standard electrolytic

So, kind of
    Well you learn something everyday ! Thank you for taking the time to explain

Do you think the 22 year old original slit foils had lower ESR than the new bypassed replacements ?

My cap meter only measures capacitance not ESR which is a PITA.

Ah, good point Your more modern replacement capacitors are likely to be in better condition ESR wise due to age...

If I wasn't going to replace them with slit foils, I'd use something like Panasonic FC series instead, they are very low ESR for the money
    Bests, Mark

I'm James.

Good choice - I used those on a faulty plasma tv power supply last week with good results... well, it fixed it lol.

Dont know if you will be able to view it but: http://www.kendeil.com/pdf/K05_type.pdf Part number : K05050103_PM0E040

Would actually be handy to get your opinion on them as I always use them when replacing large filter caps in amps - If they're shite I wont bother anymore

I don't need to hit the link They are very high quality capacitors & I wouldn't hesitate to use them, same as BHC
    Bests, Mark

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    I don't need to hit the link They are very high quality capacitors & I wouldn't hesitate to use them, same as BHC
    Thats exactly what I wanted to hear

For those that are interested I bought some chemical etcher & black spray paint today ready for the weekend. I did look into getting some nextel from Germany but it was a complete PITA so decided against it. I see Nextel is now used in interior design to make textured walls etc... different! thats for sure

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast