+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Remote Functionality' (with Display) for a PC?

I'm James.

Default 'Remote Functionality' (with Display) for a PC?

Hi All,

I am new to PC based Audio replay but have aquired a half decent PC with a good 'Sound Card'. I am just using USB output to my DAC at the moment which is suiting me just fine.

I would like to get some sort of Remote Functionality. At present I am using a cheap 'Air Mouse' with the Screen on a long lead so the PC itself can be placed in a cupboard in a room next door to my listening room.
    I am unfamiliar with 'Smart Phones' and Tablets and so my question is this....Would a Smart Phone or Tablet be able to be connected to the PC via my Wi-Fi network giving the PC's Desktop on its screen and therefore gaining control of the PC and giving access to Album Artwork etc etc?
    I would not be requiring any Telephone functions from the device so don't really want to buy one on a contract from a phone company.

Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated,

James.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Would a Smart Phone or Tablet be able to be connected to the PC via my Wi-Fi network giving the PC's Desktop on its screen and therefore gaining control of the PC and giving access to Album Artwork etc etc?
    Not easily James, as you are basically wishing to use a tablet with a touchscreen interface to control a mouse cursor on a remote PC. I am not sure what Windows 8 will bring, but I anticipate this will be easier than it is now. You can do it, but its clunky, just Google 'control a Windows PC from a Tablet' for answers.

Here's an idea for you;

It has been discussed here before, but I cannot find the thread - I will keep looking. I take it you are talking about a Windows PC?

A more elegant solution is to use media player software like JRiver installed on the PC which plays the music. JRiver has a free Andorid app called Gizmo which controls a remote PC from a tablet, where the remote PC has JRiver running. This is what I use and it works extremely well. There is also JRemote if you have an iPad and it does the same thing. All the items need to be networked on the same home network for this to work. Foobar2000 can also be controlled remotely by an Android app and this is free, JRiver is around $50.00, not sure how much JRemote is, but its not free.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Gizmo
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Martin.

Hi James,

As Tim said, there are a few options available to you.

It does depend upon the music player software that you use. I use JRiver ($50), controlled by JRemote (£6.99) on my iPad and it works beautifully. This is a really popular choice if you want great sound. You can try Jriver for free for 30 days to see if it suits you. You will need an iPad or similar tablet though.

If I need to access the PC for Spotify or for maintainence, I connect my iPad to it using LogMeIn (free), which basically gives me the PC screen on my tablet. I can do everything that I need to do on the machine, without having to connect a monitor, keyboard or mouse. Everything is done via the WiFi connection.

Another option (free), if you have an iPad, you can control iTunes music player on your PC that way. There is a free remote app for the iPad that connects wirelessly with your PC and you can be used to control the iTunes music player. You can see your music collection and control it via the iPad. Both iTunes and the remote app are free You are limited by the types of files that iTunes can play though and it may not sound as good as the Jriver option.

I'm not sure what apps are available on the Android tablets, but I'm sure there will be similar options for that platform.

Hope this helps,
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

I'm fabulous.

I use Apple iTunes on my Windows 7 based laptop in one of the rooms at the back of the house. This is connected wirelessly to my network and streams music to the front room hifi via a wired Airport Express.

I sit happily on my couch and control everything (even volume) via my iPad using the Remote app. Very convenient and as the best IT ahould... it just works with no hassles.
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

I'm Mike.

Youve got some good advice already!
    I'd like to add a couple of options;
    LogMeIn Ignition on your tablet works beautifully. Will cost you some 25 quid but its worth it if you want to control your PC wherever you are! Abroad or at your neighbours or in the next room, doesnt matter!
    My Remote for J River Media Center, great software at only a few quid!
    Drag a shortcut of Media Server to the Startupfolder of your start menu, and youre set!

If you want control, no cost, i can recommend installing VNC Lite Server on your 'puter and add Mocha VNC Lite to your iPad (Sure there are Android alternatives), that will give you 99% control at no cost! More hassle to set up though?

Regards
    /Mike

I'm James.

Hi Folks,

many, many thanks for the replies.
    I am sorry, I did not say what operating system I am using.

I am using Windows 7 and use Windows Media Player or Media Centre depending what files are to be played. My Music is mostly stored as WAV Lossless, FLAC and a few MP3's. I assume because of the WAV and FLAC files I cannot use iTunes (?) and frankly I don't really want to. The last time I downloaded it (granted, this was years ago now so it could have improved) it seemed to want to take over my PC. Not being a whizz with PC's I didn't really know how to stop it apart from removing it and using the Windows players. I am now very used to the Windows players and when Media Centre came along (with XP (?)) it really came into its own. I think it is a good player.

I like MartinH's suggestion regarding 'LogMeIn' which will give me the PC's Desktop on a Tablet. Using the Windows players, this option should give me the control and display I require.
    Another question then (!) Any recomendations regarding Tablets. There are some really quite cheap ones on ebay (obviously unbranded). Would these suffice?

Thanks again,

James.

I'm Martin.

I think the nexus 7 is the best of the budget tablets at the moment. Make sure that any tablet you buy can connect to the google play store though, as not all do. The ipad mini is due to launch in a couple of months and may be around £199, so is worth waiting for IMHO.

Ive tested one of the better budget tablets (scroll extreme) and found it pretty poor for the money.

May be worth checking to see if theres a remote app for the windows media player, as this should be slicker than using logmein.

Cheers,
    Martin

My system photos

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    My Music is mostly stored as WAV Lossless, FLAC and a few MP3's. I assume because of the WAV and FLAC files I cannot use iTunes (?)
    There are workarounds for this, but to be honest you are better off not using iTunes if you have your music library in these formats and intend to continue. I do know some folk store FLAC on NAS boxes and are able to use them in iTunes, never tried it myself however. I also agree with you about its 'viral' behavior when you install it on a Windows PC, I won't install it as I object to software taking over certain programs without my permission. This will annoy the 'fanbois', but I think iTunes is the devil.

Just out of interest, Samsung are offering £50.00 cashback at the moment on their tablet PC's if you buy before 30th September. Samsung are now the largest seller of tablet PC's and smartphones, which is worth bearing in mind if you are FLAC and WAV

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tab2cashba...promo_20120802
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Martin.

Im not a big fan of iTunes either (too big, too complex and too bloated), however, I believe that since iOS 5 you don't need to have it on your PC to use the iPad.

I just looked at the Play store on my android phone and LogMeIn doesn't seem to exist for that platform. There must be other options available though.

There are several remote apps for the windows Media player, although I can't say if they are any good or not.

You will get a much better experience using a remote app than using something like LogMeIn, as the image of the PC screen that you get is fairly lo-res and a bit laggy. I use the remote app for controlling the media player and LogMeIn for everything else.

What's your budget for a Tablet?

Hope this helps,
    Martin

My system photos

I'm Richard.

Hippo remote on Smart phones is a great app & will do what you want. Comes with profiles for most popular apps (and the ability to create your own) to allow non-sighted control, as well as mouse track pad for sighted use.

Logmein is also good for tablet access, but think a windows desktop on a small phone screen a bit limiting personally.

Richard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast