Thread: Meridian 207

I'm Stephen.

Default Meridian 207

Anyone done anything to one?

Kind Regards,
    Stephen

I'm Richard.

Not me, nor Lukasz- http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFE...ridian207.html
    I have 200 transport; I daren't look to see what he thinks of it!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

A freind brought round some 200 series CD player for me to possibly fix, I'm not sure what model it was now, but it was a two box trick with the transport to the side of the control box

A real nightmare, I didn't actually get to fix the thing as I was too scared to strip it down. That may well sound crazy, but there was no obvious way of doing it, I may well have removed a screw & lost a nut internally & not be able to get it back together

In other words I only got so far getting it to bits...

Years ago I managed to fix an SMPS based 100 series system, the modular one with the skinny plastic cases & big metal bars holding it all together.

That wasn't easy, but this thing was what nightmares are made of
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Not me, nor Lukasz- http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFE...ridian207.html
    I have 200 transport; I daren't look to see what he thinks of it!
    Thanks Richard.

Aye. . . I read his comments last year. Not exactly a "fan"of the 207, is he? I've had a look inside and. . . . . . . put the cover back on! It is a bugger to get in to; no space with everything tightly packed. I love the style and function it has though.

I'm David.

I had a 200 with a Trichord Clock fitted, damn good transport, should have kept it! I didn't fit the clock though, so can't be much help.
    Mr Perceptive

System SB+Oppo93 -> Leema Elements DAC -> Mackie HR624 MKIIs

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I owned a 207 for eighteen months or so back when. It's too old to dare to mod or bodge-up these days, since the transport is long gone and as said above, the thing is difficult to work on.

Meridian "modified" their designs so many times in the life of many of their products it makes me wonder if they really knew what they were doing at the time.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I owned a 207 for eighteen months or so back when. It's too old to dare to mod or bodge-up these days, since the transport is long gone and as said above, the thing is difficult to work on.

Meridian "modified" their designs so many times in the life of many of their products it makes me wonder if they really knew what they were doing at the time.
    Should have stayed as Lecson; much prettier.
    My 200 is just the transport. The only mod so far is a chassis mounted RCA socket, as the PCB mounted original scared me, it is so floppy! I may change the PSU later, but have too many other things to do first.
    I use the Teradak Chameleon NOS DAC, as I can't help fiddling, and it is designed for that.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

I've taken two appart and put them back together again, making one working one and one needing a fix (motor just spins fast and would need output caps or muting transistors replacing cos it just hissed).

i had them completely in bits so if I can do it then most people can, including Lukasz Fikus. Certainly there's no reason I can see that the transport itself should be in danger as it's in the box that has nothing much more in it.

Should at least be able to get the usual TDA1541 bypass caps in there if nothing else. No reason, I dont think, you couldnt get a clock upgrade in too. No room for a clock supply unless there are free pins in the connecting cable and you can fit it in the transport side.

I think the complication of it is where the DAC starts and ends and where the pre-amp starts.

Sure you can change the opamps too (I once had a modded 206DS with opamp sockets installed and fast video oriented opamps in place) but again have to judge whether the pre-amp section can take the changes, which are ouput opamps or something else.

No room that I could see for any Lampization so no wonder he left it alone and then you'd be bypassing the pre-amp.

P.S. Many CD Player lists have the 207 down as having S2 chips. I took the heatsink off the chip and found it was a S1 (the glue takes the writting off but you could see the marking back to front in the glue).

Sure a NOS mod could be done on the SA7220 chip too as it's just a few wires isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Should have stayed as Lecson; much prettier.
    My 200 is just the transport. The only mod so far is a chassis mounted RCA socket, as the PCB mounted original scared me, it is so floppy!
    They're rubbish aren't they! Had a 200 delivered with the toslink 'protective' plug left in. Of course because it was sticking so far out, it got bashed in taking the toslink socket with it. I can see why Meridian later had a clear sticky tape over them instead.

I managad to desolder a spare off an old broken PC sound card and replace it easily enough but thr RCA still felt like it would snap off at any moment with a tight enough plug.

+ Reply to Thread