+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moth RCM Mk. 2

I'm Alex.

Default Moth RCM Mk. 2

Hi,

I've finally finished building my Moth Record Cleaning Machine kit.. project has been on the back burner for some time, but I have been wanting to get completed so I can get my records digitised without spending a disproportionate amount of time in post processing / de-clicking.

20120826_165248 by alexmastersuk, on Flickr

Finished in a subtle shade of red (Ford Brilliant Red) - it isn't going to be any less visible in black as it is huge .

I've got to say that after listening to a few test records I am absolutely gobsmacked how much quieter and more detailed they sound. It isn't just the reduction in background noise that is notable, there just seems to be so much more clarity and separation of the sounds, and low level details that was previously absent.

As a test I cleaned up a copy of Steps Ahead Magnetic that was previously almost unlistenable. Although the record was fairly clean before, I had always assumed that it was a defective pressing suffering from underfill as there was a significant amount of noise and distortion at the end of side one that no amount of cleaning seemed to get rid of. I tolerated it as it is out of print and there are some amazing performances by Michael Brecker on the Akai EWI.

After cleaning the record is transformed - the distortion is almost gone, and although there are still a few pops and clicks, it is much, much more listenable.

I can only assume that the cleaning process has removed an overly generous amount of mould release agent as it much better than can only be accounted for my removal of dirt (or maybe not).

I'm a very happy chappy, and plan to spend some time listening to and recording some of my less than pristine records.. I feel that I will be rediscovering them and hearing them as I haven't for many years. Unless you live in a completely dust-free environment you NEED an a vacuum RCM as no other cleaning method is worth mentioning in the same breath.

Only downside is the noise of the RCM.. it is extremely noisy. You can't really argue with the results though.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Martin.

Looks like you have made a great job of that Alex. I'm liking the red finish. As you say the results from a proper wet/vacuum RCM are something of a revelation.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

I have a Moth RCM and when I cleaned my lp's couldn't believe how much better they sounded. But my D-I-Y skills are virtually useless. Yours, in the red, looks very nice. Well done.

I'm Keith.

Well done - it looks great

They are certainly noisy! I always use foam earplugs when I use mine. The other day I removed an earplug to use the phone between cleaning records and forgot to put it back in before switchingthe vacuum on. I nearly jumped out of my skin at the noise without both earplugs in
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm John.

I use a pair of ear defenders, these give -20db, purchased for about a fiver. Well worth it as the Moth is very noisy but does the job well.

I'm Charlie.

Alex,

Glad you've had the revelation. Wet cleaning LPs is just the only way to go. Now just look at your stylus and see how little you need to clean it. Amazing. Oh and the LPs sound transformed as well. No LP goes onto my TT unless it has been wet cleaned (once).

Best wishes,

Charlie

I'm Martin.

Yes - You will make back the cost of the RCM with increased stylus life - especially if like many on here you are using a cartridge that cost £500 plus.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Very nice build! And i most definently agree that cleaning vinyl is a must! I would say that an RCM is the best HiFi investment you can get, both when it comes to Sound Quality and the fact(?) that it should bring longer life to your precious pickups/stylus'!

And in true Thread Drift style:
    What kind of fluids do you all use for cleaning?

Personally its a procedure like this:
    1. Dry dust-off using a BiB Groov-Kleen brush
    2. Apply some of my home made mix (10% IPA/90% Aqua Purificata and a couple of drops dish washing detergent)
    3. Use the Okki Nokki wet brush to work up a little foaming and distribute the solution. (A couple of turns in both directions)
    4. Suction, not necessarily completely dry.
    5. Apply L'Art du Son mix, just a couple of drops will suffice
    6. Work up a foam using the MoFi velvet LP brush (A couple of turns in each direction)
    7. Suction, till nearly dry, but not completely (Usually about 2-2.5 turns)

All done! Change side and repeat procedure!

Regards
    /Mike
    Last edited by AlfaGTV; 27-08-2012 at 10:03. Reason: Just to clarify: IPA in this case=IsoPropyl Alcohol

I'm Alex.

Hi Mike,

NO thread drift - absolutely OT . At the moment I am using the supplied Moth cleaning fluid, which is 25% IPA, reverse-osmosis filtered water, and some sort of wetting agent.

It seems to do the job. I set the turntable to rotate and then apply the solution with a CF brush, gently scrubbing as I go. Three rotations anti-clockwise, and then three rotations clockwise. This leaves the record completely clean and dry.

I will experiment with some other cleaning fluids and brushes as I go to see what works best. I will check out the Art du Son fluid. Not sure about washing up liquid though.. I know it breaks the surface tension but it does contain some salt, which isn't ideal. I understand that you can get a wetting agent from Jessops or other photographic stores and this is safe and performs the same functions.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Mike.

Alright!
    25% IPA is quite a potent mix! I 'd rather do the cleaning once or twice more.
    Perhaps over the top careful but i still get the feeling that IPA has got some drying properties which may be detrimental to the cleaning process, or rather to the sound of the LP.

I have also heard that some detergent agents contain some form of salt. I have tried cleaning without this, also using photographic wetting agents, but i do not get the same effect. Since then i decided that the amount of salt distributed and left on the record surface is neglectible!

regards
    /Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast