+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread drift, is it annoying?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

In one of my daughter's books there is a picture of Sherlock Holmes with a pipe in his mouth - very difficult to explain to a 3 year old "why?" !!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Just about every thread I've looked at or started has had 'thread drift' to a degree. i.e., the thread going off topic or even being completely hi-jacked.

I can understand how and why it happens, but I'm sure there are circumstances where it would really not be welcome.

Any opinions out there?
    Where it would not be welcome:

1) On a 'for sale' thread

2) Where someone has asked for advice and the first reply is off-topic.

Otherwise, fill yer boots. Most audio discussions will become circular after a dozen or so posts, so thread drift is usually a welcome distraction.

I'm Mark.

I've always thought that I should buy a pipe. Not to smoke. Just to prod at people while I talk.
    Mark

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingdong View Post
    I've always thought that I should buy a pipe. Not to smoke. Just to prod at people while I talk.
    That would be my preferred use for one also.

Seen the price of rough shag these days!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    That would be my preferred use for one also.

Seen the price of rough shag these days!
    It can be surprisingly cheap from some of the crack-whores in town. I do feel a bit unclean afterwards though.
    Mark

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Totally with you on the "prodding" - I may take up smoking again and get a pipe just to prod!

It can be surprisingly cheap from some of the crack-whores in town. I do feel a bit unclean afterwards though.
    Ah, you see, what you need is "Carey's Magic Inch" - that'll sort her out - "no bite, no burn, no bitterness."
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Totally with you on the "prodding" - I may take up smoking again and get a pipe just to prod!

Ah, you see, what you need is "Carey's Magic Inch" - that'll sort her out - "no bite, no burn, no bitterness."
    My magic inch does get a burning sensation. Maybe this will work.
    Mark

I'm Martin.

My father smoked a pipe throughout his adult life. He never used it to prod whilst talking. I always thought this a complete waste.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mark.

The best use of a pipe is to prod at young people whilst telling them about the error of their ways.
    What else would you use it for.
    Mark

synsei Guest

That's settled then, I'm buying a pipe for its extra gravitas then maybe my grandchildren will actually listen to me...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast