+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open baffle / dipole speakers

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Default Open baffle / dipole speakers

Something I've always had problems understanding is how do open baffle speakers produce controlled and weighty low end? Surely the task without an enclosure must be a huge hurdle as there's no cabinet to 'tune' the air waves and there's no 'brake' on the bass drivers which would (in my mind) lead to uncontrollable bass drivers.

So, my boffin type friends, how do the drivers on dipoles differ and how is bass produced from cabinet-less speakers?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Something I've always had problems understanding is how do open baffle speakers produce controlled and weighty low end? Surely the task without an enclosure must be a huge hurdle as there's no cabinet to 'tune' the air waves and there's no 'brake' on the bass drivers which would (in my mind) lead to uncontrollable bass drivers.

So, my boffin type friends, how do the drivers on dipoles differ and how is bass produced from cabinet-less speakers?

The trade of is with Open baffle louspeakers is you get a more detailed airy sound with no frequency problems.Using the correct driver is important.

Missing Link

As you can read above, there are many factors controlling the woofers...

Anyway, the back reflections will cancel the direct bass down from certain frequency, depending on the size of the baffle, you can compensate with equalization, or use a closed subwoofer, like me...

The sound is clearer, no box colourations, imaging is incredible, I dont need surround anymore, even ear the helicopter flying around on the Pink Floyd record, another interesting advantage, to get the same loudness at the listening position, it sends 6db less to the neighbours, quite useful in an apartment...
    Antonio Melo Ribeiro

For me this is only an hobby...

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post

It is driver design, you cannot just dump any driver anywhere. If you want to work with an open baffle you need low compliance (stiffer) surround. Bass then propogates conically. For sealed cabinet you need high compliance surround so that the driver *sits* on the air (acoustic suspension as invented by AR) and the base propogates as a tube (piston action). Partial acoustic loading as with port and transmission line requires a compromise between the two.

I'm gone.

IME I don't think you get 'kick-ass' bass from an open baffle arrangement. That's the price you pay for the (for some folks) huge benefits of low colouration, transparency and open sound that can be had from open baffle designs.

+ Reply to Thread