+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fireface 400 -Is this an all in one DAC solution?

I'm Andrew.

Default Fireface 400 -Is this an all in one DAC solution?

Gents,

I've started copying my CD's on a 2TB HDD in lossless for use in my garage/office/studio and I'm looking for the best all in on solution to a problem.

Currently I'm looking for a DAC to connect to a Marantz SR6200 AVR [no HDMI/network connection so using 2 channel RCA or digital/toslink] for audio playback into my speakers [M&K LCR55/K4 and a M&K V75 sub]. Other than the HDD CD audio, I want to use the space as a music studio, [my hi-fi gear's in the house] so recording, mixing and playback using my Fender bass/Behringer amp, electric/acoustic guitar and harp so it all need to work together if possible.

As I need the studio side I'm thinking that an audio interface would be a better all up solution. So far the one that seems to tick all of the boxes is the RME Fireface 400. The fact I need to look into a MIDI keyboard and DAW software makes me look at an all in one solution.

Can I ask some of you guys, experienced in DAC's to have a look at the link for the Fireface 400 and give me you opinion re the item?
    http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_400.php

Anything has to be better than the 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA I'm using at the moment!

Cheers
    Andrew
    HT fan
    AVR Pioneer THX Ultra2+ 7.1 Class-D ICE Amps, Speakers M&K S-150 THX/LCR-55, Subs M&K MX-5000THX /MX-125THX /2xV75, TT Kenwood KD-1600, CD Players Kenwood 6+1Multi, Classic Technics Class-AA Optic-out, PVR Phillips, BluRay Players Sony, DVD/SACD Pioneer, TV Panasonic 50" 1080 Plasma, Media Player WD HD-Live.

Are you after an all in one solution or improved musical playback performance?

I'm Simon.

It's a great studio dac, with all the throughputs you'll ever need. It does only have one co-ax input and I assume all the analogue outs are balanced. But if that works for you go for it. RME stuff sounds great if you want it all 'straight no chaser'...
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the prompt replies fellas,

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Are you after an all in one solution or improved musical playback performance?
    With the studio side and the fact I need a DAC for the lossless CD playback I hope I'll get both.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    It's a great studio dac, with all the throughputs you'll ever need. It does only have one co-ax input and I assume all the analogue outs are balanced. But if that works for you go for it. RME stuff sounds great if you want it all 'straight no chaser'...
    The balanced side I'm not sure about.

I noticed that the 400 model is just discontinued [so cheaper $800 Aus] and a new one is replacing it at about $1600 so I really need to make the right decision.
    http://www.innovativemusic.com.au/rme_firefaceUCX.html

Cheers
    Andrew
    HT fan
    AVR Pioneer THX Ultra2+ 7.1 Class-D ICE Amps, Speakers M&K S-150 THX/LCR-55, Subs M&K MX-5000THX /MX-125THX /2xV75, TT Kenwood KD-1600, CD Players Kenwood 6+1Multi, Classic Technics Class-AA Optic-out, PVR Phillips, BluRay Players Sony, DVD/SACD Pioneer, TV Panasonic 50" 1080 Plasma, Media Player WD HD-Live.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

I wouldn't consider the Fireface 400 as really being a DAC as such - think of it more as a connection hub with 8 channel DAC and ADC built in. I say that, as integration with your studio software and PC and connection options are just as or more important than considering whether it sounds fantastic as a DAC alone.

RME are often no-nonsense designs that integrate extremely well and they've been around for a long long time in PC audio terms.

The inputs/outputs do support balanced but (as is usual for semi-pro, home studio type things) on TRS connectors (1/4" stereo jacks wired for mono-balanced). Only the mic inputs have XLR and can provide phantom power (so prob not best idea to use those with hifi just in case you turn on the 50V without noticing..).

Supposed to be pretty good and old ones should be relatively cheap now secondhand as they came out in 2006 hence why the update now.

As a DAC though, you can always upgrade later because the Fireface will be providing you with a s/pdif out of your PC that can then be connected seperately to your hifi DAC (like a Bushmaster)!

The old one isn't USB though, Firewire only and 2 sockets so daisy-chainable so as not to completely use up that firewire port on your PC.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Only the mic inputs have XLR and can provide phantom power (so prob not best idea to use those with hifi just in case you turn on the 50V without noticing..).
    I've read in a few places that phantom power can have disasterous results with certain Hi-Fi gear, especially ribbon tweaters.

As a DAC though, you can always upgrade later because the Fireface will be providing you with a s/pdif out of your PC that can then be connected seperately to your hifi DAC (like a Bushmaster)!
    It seems like a good all in one solution, as you say, especially if I use the digital out into a dedicated Hi-Fi specific DAC in the future.

The old one isn't USB though, Firewire only and 2 sockets so daisy-chainable so as not to completely use up that firewire port on your PC.
    I have a dedicated Firewire card for my laptop that I currently use for digital video editing with 2 outputs so I'll still have a spare.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
    Andrew
    HT fan

+ Reply to Thread