+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting a new laser?

I'm Pete.

Default Fitting a new laser?

Nothing wrong with my CD player but as it is getting on a bit I thought I might buy a new laser for it just in case, or as a spare anyway.
    Question is, can these be fitted without the need for any special alignment or measuring equipment? Do they just un screw and replace or what?

No problem using a soldering iron or doing fiddly work just not sure if these are just undo and replace or if there is more to it than that.

My CD player is a Sony XB930E UK edition.
    There is a replacement laser on ebay supposedly for these at £9.99.
    The number on the ebay one is KSS-213B is this the correct one?

Thanks for any help.
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

I'm Martin.

It is a but fiddilly and ideally you need to do it in a Clean Room with one of those anti-static tags attached to your wrist. Not something you really want to tackle on the kitchen table.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Yes that is the correct laser, if you want to check yourself, type lampizator into google, scroll down until you see a link to laser maintanance & then scroll down again until you see another link to a russian site listing all the lasers used in players

Looks like it's plug & play to me, no soldering needed
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

What about setting offsets, gain and focus? No two mechs are quite the same due to differences in platter heights from mech to mech. I appreciate the Sony in question is a little different with a moving platter, but it's not like replacing a stylus, old for new..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mark.

It should be easy to swap.

You will need to take anti-static precautions though.

There should be a little solder link on it that needs de-soldering before you can use it. Details of it should be in the documentation with the laser.

Don't try adjusting the little pot on the side of it. You are likely to screw it up.

The laser mech should just slide onto the rod that the old one is mounted on and the connector should just plug in. There is normally a little clip on the connector that clamps on the cable.
    Mark

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    What about setting offsets, gain and focus? No two mechs are quite the same due to differences in platter heights from mech to mech. I appreciate the Sony in question is a little different with a moving platter, but it's not like replacing a stylus, old for new..
    Yes vintage players do suffer from this, which is why I moved from the Pioneer PD-S505 as replacing the laser means a test disc and a scope!

Newer players do not suffer from this and use auto-alignment techniques, more modular design & other things to make them more plug and play.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Pete.

Thanks for the replies.
    Maybe not quite as easy as I had hoped but probably worth getting one anyway.
    I could always get it replaced by someone that knows what they are doing I guess.

Seems like a good price at £9.99.
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    Maybe not quite as easy as I had hoped but probably worth getting one anyway.
    I could always get it replaced by someone that knows what they are doing I guess.

Seems like a good price at £9.99.
    Sonys are good at plug 'n play.

You got the service manual? Should be online.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mike.

You probably could find the whole drive unit instead, making the task still fiddly, but quite manageable.
    I changed the drive unit in my Micromega T-DRIVE 2 a couple of months back, and that went well. The drive unit consist of the motor to spin the record, the spindle, a laser unit in rails and the whole thing is already calibrated.

I had tosolder the wires as the connector were not quite the same.
    Bought the unit from Dönsberg electronics, Ireland

/Mike

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    You probably could find the whole drive unit instead, making the task still fiddly, but quite manageable.
    I changed the drive unit in my Micromega T-DRIVE 2 a couple of months back, and that went well. The drive unit consist of the motor to spin the record, the spindle, a laser unit in rails and the whole thing is already calibrated.

I had tosolder the wires as the connector were not quite the same.
    Bought the unit from Dönsberg electronics, Ireland

/Mike
    That sounds like the best option, at least a lot less likely to end in failure.
    Pete.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast