+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MacBook

I'm John.

Default MacBook

Hi, I'm not a digital expert but would like to play my MacBook through my hi-fi amp (iTunes etc) it's currently connected via CA740c (which supposely "upsamples") to my amp . It sounds ok, but would the Beresford make a marked difference? Any advice gladly received.
    Cheers
    John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Never heard the 740c let alone on its digital inputs, so I can't really comment - but which Beresford are you thinking of - the new Bushmaster?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Mike.

Hi Jon - I also use a Macbook (Pro) as my most used front end. I can't comment on a comparison with the 740c, but I can definitely recommend using the Bushmaster. I use the optical output into the dac and it is excellent. I would recommend that you use an alternative to iTunes though. I use Audivarna Plus which integrates with the Tunes library and (IMO) is a significant improvement - it also fixes the iTunes digital volume to 100% so you need to control volume elsewhere.

Mike
    Rega RP6/Tangospinner Darienzo/SRM-Tech Ultimate Upgrade/OM2 Black
    UC FLAC/NAS/Cyrus Stream XP2
    Croft Micro 25R/Series 7
    Mark Grant I/C's
    Spendor SP3/1R2
    BK XLS200 Sub

I'm Simon.

If you are using the optical out from the MAC then it's not the best connection to the 740c and a Hiface (usb to spdif converter) will give you a straight up improvement, and it will give you 192khz capability as well.

I used one between my Macbook and my 840c until i upgraded to a Weiss 202.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm John.

Thanks so far.

Alex, yes I'm looking at the Bushmaster.

Mike, thanks for advice on Audiovarna plus.

Simon, the Hiface USB to s/PDF looks a bit wide. The two USB ports on my MacBook are adjacent and I need one to feed in the external drive, which means I struggle fitting anything wider than a conventional USB into the second slot.....do you have this problem or a solution?

Cheers all
    John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

Is there no optical output on the Macbook?

I'm Nick.

There is. The headphone output also acts as an Optical if you plug a mini Optical cable into it.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

If it has an optical socket already then a USB to SPDIF converter is not required.

I'm Simon.

I'd suggest that it's the optical out that is the bottleneck, not the dac, and it is that which requires fixing. If you just want to buy a new dac then have at it. But why not try an asynchronous dac that is impervious to source issues?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm andrew.

I used a modified hiface until recently, it was a step up from the optical out of a Macbook.
    Andy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast