• I am going to purchase the album

0 0%
  • I really like this

1 8.33%
  • Bloody hell this is brillant

3 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: Week 53: Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings (2009)

I'm ILOB.

Default Album Club: Week 53: Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings (2009)

Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings (2009)

http://open.spotify.com/user/gamalon...2Ez0YHNw9DM1NY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_C...Silver_Linings

Available on CD and Vinyl

Dream Theater is an American rock band that influences have a mixture of Progressive rock and Heavy Metal.
    The band plays a genre that is called Progressive metal. The band influences range from Genesis, Yes, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Rush, Queen, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Metallica, Testament, Al Di Meola, Dixie Dregs and Return to Forever
    I been a fan since the first album, years ago in London there was a metal record shop called Shades that used to import the latest records and every Saturday morning they would play some of the new releases, listening to songs like a Fortune in Lies in Shades I just became a fan straight away and was lucky enough to see the band both times they played the Marquee and all the way up to the present tour.
    For me as a fan of the band its hard to pick a album, so many great choices I could of easily of picked Images and Words, Metropolis part2, Six degrees of Inner Turbulence, A Train Of Thought or Systematic Chaos to name a few. I must admit I was very tempted to pick A Train of Thought but have gone for Black Clouds and Silver Linings. A Train of Thought is the heaviest album the band recorded, whilst Black Clouds shows a bit more of the band influences.
    I expect a very mixed reaction to this album; its quite heavy and complex most tracks last over 10 minutes, but for me it represents everything I love about Dream Theater. It has plenty of complexity but also some great melodies, it’s quite heavy and lyrics are thoughtful and based on personal experiences. But I understand for most people this might be unlistenable due to its heaviness.
    This album needs to be played loud to get the best out of it. Kick drums should really kick, and guitars should crunch. If you getting to the level where the neighbours are asking you to turn it down then that sounds like the right level, if people can hear the album a few houses away even better! This is music that needs to be felt in your body as well as heard.
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 07-08-2012 at 08:20.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Thanks John - looks interesting! (Hope you don't mind I've added a cover image and the year to your post.)

I'll have to wait for a clear house before giving it the "big 'un" !!!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ILOB.

I be very suprised if you like it Alex
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I have 3 Dream Theater albums John, but not this one and I'm pretty sure I have not heard it before, so looking forward to listening to it.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ILOB.

Its one of my favs so hope you enjoy Tim

I'm john.

10/10 from me I know this one very well..bought on it's release day..anyone thinking of buying should try & get the 3 cd version there is a disc with all the tracks but instrumental versions. This was Mike Portnoy (drums) last outing with the band... unfair of the band to sack him IMO...the last epic track is one of the best they have done IMO...vinyl version was too expensive for me..
    John.

I'm ILOB.

The vinyl recording is pretty good worth the money

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Its one of my favs so hope you enjoy Tim
    Well I'm grinning at the moment John and loving it, its on my Amazon Wish List to buy.

I saw Transatlantic in 2010 and was astonished by Mike Portney, not only for his power, but also his technical ability - he's no slouch as a vocalist either. I have this cranked on headphones at work and have had some funny looks as I get near to a bit of headbanging

I shall give it a proper listen at home before I vote, but its rating very highly right now..... good choice for me fella.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ILOB.

Yes it does get the head to shake a bit
    Portney drumming on this is awesome. What a way to bow out

I'm Rich.

John, to listen as you intend I'll have to wait til I'm back home at the weekend to do this one properly on the big system. Another one the headphone rig won't do justice to.

Look forward to it as I'm partial to a bit prog/metal.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast