+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: DAC Tour

I'm John.

Ali, they arrived in Harrow today, thanks for posting on.
    Silence just got quieter

MOT: Isolated Power devices www.ciunas.biz
    John

I'm tony.

before i instaled j play i was concious that the i player stuff at lossless was slightly better than the spotify stuff....cleaner more focussed/spacous...more hi fi. the difference is noticeable, whether j play has widened the gap i would be lying if i said yes.
    My big bugbear is sibilance, female vocals are my staple diet to hear them contaminated with ssss breaks my heart. my current mf dac has a reputation for being a bit bright, having heard it in company with other dacs i can agree to this.just looking to make the best of what i have....

I'm John.

OK, Tony, sibilance indicates to me that you have issues with your system - could be your DAC, could be somewhere else in your system. Do you have other inputs & do they also have sibilance issues?
    Do you use a laptop for playback? If you do, try unplugging the charger.
    Silence just got quieter

John

I'm ILOB.

A pity it not work for you Tony but as John says I imagine something else causing this
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    Ali, they arrived in Harrow today, thanks for posting on.
    Good stuff, thanks for the loan.

I'm tony.

im just looking to improve my dac....sibilance rips my knitting on recordings, usually down to close mic ing. having heard numerous dacs i know there is room for improvement.....your wares appealed

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    im just looking to improve my dac....sibilance rips my knitting on recordings, usually down to close mic ing. having heard numerous dacs i know there is room for improvement.....your wares appealed
    As I said, there are many variables to address if you want to improve your system. if you know for sure that the sibilance results from your DAC then trying another DAC could work. If you have heard other DACs in your system & they had no sibilance then it most likely is your problem

I'm just asking if you are sure that is where your problem lies? Ground noise/loop issues can often give rise to sibilance which is why I asked you about laptop playback.
    Silence just got quieter

John

I'm Gary.

Happy to bring the Rega Dac and the Vlink 192 over at some point Tony...a SMOOOTH combo, especially on female vocals...

I'm John.

before i instaled j play i was concious that the i player stuff at lossless was slightly better than the spotify stuff....cleaner more focussed/spacous...more hi fi. the difference is noticeable, whether j play has widened the gap i would be lying if i said yes.
    Are you using JPlayMini, the standalone Jplay program or are you using the one that sits in the background & still playing through iTunes?
    Silence just got quieter

John

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Happy to bring the Rega Dac and the Vlink 192 over at some point Tony...a SMOOOTH combo, especially on female vocals...
    The Rega DAC does female vocal very well indeed
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast