+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Quality Live Rock Recording ?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Togil View Post
    Does anyone know if the re-master of the Woodstock CD is any better than the original ?
    Probably not - chances are it is another victim of the mastering loudness wars !

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I don't know the answer to that one, Hans, but the Atlantic reel to reel release sounds fantastic despite being triple-play length and 3¾ ips.
    Was there ever any commercially available 7.5 ips music ? In the 60s we could buy some American tapes in Germany but it was all 3.75 ips ( 9.5 cm/s)
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm Nick.

In my experience most commercial releases on reel to reel were 7½ ips through until 1968, when more releases started coming out at the 3¾ ips speed. Some releases still came out at 7½ but these seem to have quickly become the exception rather than the rule as the decade turned.

I popped some thoughts about factory made reels here a while back, which may be of interest!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

Try having a listen to Stage by David Bowie

I read in Tony Visconti's book that it is 100% live with no overdubbing etc.
    The only messing about is one edit where there were two performances from consecutive nights patched together on Station to Station.

I don't know what it's like on CD but the vinyl is extraordinary.
    The begining of Station to Station has a steam train sound on it, leading into Adrian Belew's guitar intro. When I was a teenager, a friend of mine used to play that at full whack on his Dad's hifi (who was also our headmaster) after school. The whole (16th century half timbered) house would shake.

Dynamics or what!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12