+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 'Factory-Made' Reel to Reel Tape Thread

I'm Nick.

Does anyone have £2,400 and a burning desire to make one magnanimous gesture that could make a major Floyd / reel to reel to fan very happy?

If so, check this out and drop me a PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINK-FLOYD-MED...item4a9b71e585
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm notAlone.

*sigh* (why don't I have more money ?)

Nick, when I read your posts about reel sound this and reel sound that, I almost cry to have given away my recorder...

*sigh* (what a mistake)
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Beechy, I've just bought it for your Christmas. But you'll need to be a good boy until then or Santa won't bring it to you, okay dokey?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Does anyone have £2,400 and a burning desire to make one magnanimous gesture that could make a major Floyd / reel to reel to fan very happy?

If so, check this out and drop me a PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINK-FLOYD-MED...item4a9b71e585
    Very nice sat here stroking a full set of ELP reel to reel tapes

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Very nice sat here stroking a full set of ELP reel to reel tapes

Do you have a Reel to Reel player Andre ? If so which one ?

I have yet to dip my toes into buying prerecorded reels. Someday, haven't seen anything worth buying so far.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nobody.

I have a Reel To Reel it's a Ferrograph Series 7..It wants new Pich Roll & Idler wheels when i get around to it.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-03-2010 at 03:21.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post

I have yet to dip my toes into buying prerecorded reels. Someday, haven't seen anything worth buying so far.

Regards D S D L
    I have reservations about buying pre recorded open reel tape,doesnt stop me but it's a speed issue which effects the overal sound quality, if you record your own at say 7.5ips you will get a better sound than the pre recorded tape!

I'm Neil.

I have a Reel To Reel it's a Ferrograph Series 7..It wants new Pich Roll & Idler wheels when i get around to it.

Have the idler wheels melted ?... they are easy enough to get on E-Bay. Nice machine.

I have couple, a Revox A77, 4 track, mk4 Dolby, Revox B77 mk2, 2 track, high speed and a very old 4 track Akai, the model number I can't remember at the minute.

Your right about recording speeds, 7.5 is the ideal one, keeps the taping time relatively good and maintains quality. However 15 is the best but...boy does the tape run out fast.

Must say your Prog interests are very interesting, I haven't heard of about 2 thirds of what you have posted so far.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nobody.

Have the idler wheels melted ?
    Kind of, they were made from a rubber that turned to goo over the years, you just send em off & have new better rubber vulcanised onto the old wheel..A couple people offer this service.

Your right about recording speeds, 7.5 is the ideal one, keeps the taping time relatively good and maintains quality. However 15 is the best but...boy does the tape run out fast.
    7.5ips is the real quality minimum, you won't find 15ips on a 7" machine but these Ferrograph even though they are technically a 7" machine will take an 8" reel in which ferro made. 10" machines are the choice for that higher speed..30ips is serious studio clobber. If i remember their is a version of this machine that has 15ips & also runs half inch tape.

Must say your Prog interests are very interesting, I haven't heard of about 2 thirds of what you have posted so far.
    Hell of a lot of obscure early prog bands a lot of people havent heard of, i'm an obsessive & don't mind being the in house Prog evangelist
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 16-10-2009 at 22:54.

I'm Neil.

Hell of a lot of obscure early prog bands a lot of people havent heard of, i'm an obsessive & don't mind being the in house Prog evangelist
    I am certainly learning from your posts in the music section. I Love prog too.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast