+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For hipsters only . .

Default For hipsters only . .

More specifically, lovers of JAZZ! Let's share some special examples, vinyl or silver. If you shouldn't happen to know any- if it hasn't been your thing- you WILL if you got a mind to!

Bop and post bop, classic jazz from the late fifties and sixties. Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers recorded a gang of stuff on the Blue Note label. A ripping one is "Free For All". A sextet with Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter (before he starting his musing way of playing on the soprano saxophone), Curtis Fuller, and Cedar Walton on piano. For you guys who download stuff, download the title track. This one you play LOUD. It's positively a burner!! Then look up "Live at Keystone 3" (Concord Jazz) and download "A La Mode". Likewise, it's high heat, clean cooking with gas, more meticulously played. Wynton and Branford Marsalis were a part of the Messengers on this one with a young pianist named Donald Brown. Might want to have a fire extinquisher nearby for these. They are very accessible, no worries, and very inventive. Good sound, too, I'd be interested to know which one you like best in that regard. The latter has the perspective of a seat in the club.

I've been listening to a little Horace Silver today. "Tokyo Blues" in point of fact, also on Blue Note. If you download my recommendations, and you should at the first opportunity, make a copy for a friend. Good listening.

Any other knowledgable fans about here?
    Hear your music, not your speakers

I'm Nick.

Jazz isn't my speciality, but there are a few special jazz recordings that I love. 'Consecration 2' by Bill Evans features probably my favourite ever jazz recording. Bill Evans is regarded by many as one of the finest jazz pianists ever. The album was recorded live in San Francisco, late August and early September 1980 a matter of weeks before Evans died of multiple complications - cirrhosis of the liver, pneumonia, a bleeding ulcer, after years of cocaine use and (in the fifties and sixties, heroin use).

The thing is though that he doesn't play like a man with days to live. His performance, especially the 10+ minute version of 'My Romance' is absolutely stunning. He plays as a trio with Marc Johnson on bass and Joe LaBarbara on drums.

The review below is of the 16 disc set from his last 8 shows. I have a cut-down box of 3 discs on Timeless Records and they are available individually too.

Review > http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=13679
    Amazon > http://www.amazon.com/Consecration-V...=pd_rhf_shvl_3

About Bill Evans > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Evans

Here's a Youtube clip of a shortened version of 'My Romance' from around the time the recording I mention was made. It's not as good, but gives you a good flavour of what I'm getting at. TBH I've never seen him perform before so I found it realy enjoyable. If you like. Please check out the album!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E6CS8h_JSk4
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 20-01-2009 at 22:09. Reason: Ubiquitous Youtube Clip :-)
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ILOB.

I think John Coltrane was a true genius Ballads has some great melodies
    Tend to like Fusion
    Think most rock blues and Jazz owe a big thank u to Louis Armstrong his licks can still be heard today
    My all time favourite guitar player is Django just love playing his music on guitar another genius
    Of course classics like Miles Davis A Kind of Blue and Keith Jarrett Koln Concerts are hear from time to time
    Every now and again I go to the odd jazz concert or listen to the odd record but like Beechy admit this is not one of areas of expertise, but can enjoy music from trad jazz to swing to bebop to Fusion I even like some John Zorn he is an amazing composser but generally find Avante Garde hard to get into
    Just think its healthy to have a open mind about music in all forms
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Only jazz I've really listened to is Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong, other than that I have yet to experience enough to really get into it. Always seems well recorded though and a pleasure to listen to.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm ILOB.

Yes often Jazz has a lot higher production values than most pop and rock
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Clive.

The Jazz I have in my collection is the most moving music I have. I'm still getting to grips with the different sub-genres and developing my taste. For sure there's some that I don't get along with, ie what I call greasy hotel foyer jazz, maybe it has a proper name , MoR Jazz?

What do I like?
    - Coltrane
    - Freddie Redd
    - Rollins
    - Getz
    - Brubeck
    - Zoot Simms

Standard stuff really but I love it. Any other recommendations along similar lines would be gratefully received.

I'm Nick.

Lounge Jazz
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Lounge Jazz
    Yes, of course....thanks.
    BTW, I missed Glenn Miller, Ellington etc on my list.

I'm ILOB.

Hi Clive here are a few names that might be worth a trying out as most of you list seemed to fall into the benop style

Cannonball Adderley
    Miles Davis
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Dexter Gordon
    Lee Konitz,
    Charles Mingus
    Thelonious Monk
    Wes Montgomery
    Charlie Parker
    Chet Baker
    Bud Powell
    Sonny Stitt

I'm Clive.

Hi John,

I'll take that as bebop

Indeed Mingus, Parker, Davis, Baker, Monk and Gillespie I enjoy and already feature in my collection, the others I will investigate!

Many thanks and may your ZYX be with with you and your Terminator.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast