+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My new music server.

I'm Brian.

Default My new music server.

It never ceases to amaze me how members of this forum are willing to give up their valuable time in order to help another member. Let me explain.
    About 3 years ago I gave up on this hobby believing I was getting nowhere after almost 30 years of searching. I was never able to afford the real high end stuff which I aspired to and after many system changes I decided to give up the ghost . I bought a Klipsch Igroove Ipad dock ( which is actually very good IMO ) and a Sony MP4 player. I lived with this for some time until I stumbled upon the Art Of Sound forum last May.
    Many of the members were talking about file-based audio . 'Surely you can't get decent sounds from computer 'I thought . However many of the arguments and experiences put forward by members in favour of this medium were quite compelling . I have to say at this stage that I didn't know ( and still don't know ) much about computers.
    So I decided to investigate further. I decided to 'dip my toe' in the water so to speak and went on to Ebay and purchased a second hand Dell laptop and a little Hot Audio DAC . I have to mention here that I kept my NVA amp and cables as they have provided me with sterling service over the years . (I put them in the loft )
    I also bought a pair of Royd A7 speakers . Special mention must go to Mark (Reid Malenphant ) who talked me through upgrading the crossovers on these speakers , turning a good pair of standmounts into an excellent pair.When I got this little system up and running I couldn't believe how good it sounded . With the help of John (Welder) and Tim on AOS I was to achieve even better results .
    To cut to the chase several more upgrades were to provide me with a system which has given me with much listening pleasure . However a couple of months ago I was selling something on the forum and was contacted by Gary ( Gazjam ) who wanted to buy my item . We discovered that we lived quite close to each other , so Gary came to mine to pick up the item . We got talking about our systems and the result was Gary offered to build me a music server to my specifications ( actually they were his as I don't have a bliddy clue ) with Windows 7 and JRiver media player included. Well Gary delivered the server the other day and set it up for me . Quite frankly I couldn't believe what I was hearing . This is easily the best system I have ever owned . My new system sounds fantastic IMHO and I believe that as it settles down it will improve even more . I have had a couple of late nights already rediscovering my music collection. Fantastic !
    If you are contemplating going down the file-based audio route my suggestion would be to go for it. The rewards are well worth the effort IMO and there are plenty of people on AOS who are more than willing to give up their valuable time to help. If I haven't mentioned your name or the help you provided me with please forgive me as my memory isn't what it used to be.
    Below a few pictures of my new server and system with thanks to all who helped me get to where I am today ,especially Gazjam who has provided me with so much help and advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brian2957; 12-07-2012 at 11:22.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice one Brian, glad it's hitting the spot. Is it portable? Be interesting to compare to the TFS when I get it.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    with Windows 7 and JRiver media player included. Quite frankly I couldn't believe what I was hearing . This is easily the best system I have ever owned
    Good result and its good that Gary has helped so much
    Jriver is great, easy to use and does not cost much.
    http://www.jriver.com/

When Gary reads this, is this the case from novatech ?
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...ov-vision.html that looks great for £50.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Brian,

A heartwarming tale, so thanks for sharing!

Well done to Gaz, and everyone else who helped. I hope that you continue to enjoy the choons, through your streaming set-up, for many years to come.

I've moved this to Strokes of Genius, as it's like a little mini-review of your experiences - enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Brian.

Thanks Marco , AOS has certainly enhanced my listening experience no end.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Nice one Brian, glad it's hitting the spot. Is it portable? Be interesting to compare to the TFS when I get it.
    Hi Ali , I don't see any problems bringing the server to yours .Look forward to it.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Grant View Post
    Good result and its good that Gary has helped so much
    Jriver is great, easy to use and does not cost much.
    http://www.jriver.com/

When Gary reads this, is this the case from novatech ?
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...ov-vision.html that looks great for £50.
    Its always good to help out.

Yeah Mark, thats the one.
    Cracking case much better in the "metal" than the pics.
    Honestly, its like a high end CD player, 5mm Brushed aluminium front panel brushed metal case..looks the biz.
    Very easy to build the computer too using this case.

For a music server/HTPC its ideal.
    Looks great on your rack and runs very quiet.
    Windows 7/Jriver playing lossless files via USB into a SPDIF converter/Dac sounds fantastic.
    I build a server for myself recently with Win7/Jriver and compared to the Sb Touch I owned previously its a better sounding digital source.
    Sounds better, better interface and much easier to access all your music.

As Brian says, anyone thinking of going down the streamed audio route should go for it, you wont look back.

Did I mention how cool Jriver is?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHZhOglOymk
    What i like about it is that it has a lot of Audiophile settings, memory play, Winaspi Event Style output, Upsampling...you name it.
    It can play 24/384 if your dac is up to it.

The software is constantly being updated and has a fantastic User forum where the creators of Jriver regularly pitch in with their expertise.
    http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php
    I use JRiver to play movies and view pictures too - cool!

*EDIT* Anyone looking for specifics of the PC build feel free to drop me a PM
    Last edited by Gazjam; 12-07-2012 at 16:50.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how members of this forum are willing to give up their valuable time in order to help another member. Let me explain.
    About 3 years ago I gave up on this hobby believing I was getting nowhere after almost 30 years of searching. I was never able to afford the real high end stuff which I aspired to and after many system changes I decided to give up the ghost . I bought a Klipsch Igroove Ipad dock ( which is actually very good IMO ) and a Sony MP4 player. I lived with this for some time until I stumbled upon the Art Of Sound forum last May.
    Many of the members were talking about file-based audio . 'Surely you can't get decent sounds from computer 'I thought . However many of the arguments and experiences put forward by members in favour of this medium were quite compelling . I have to say at this stage that I didn't know ( and still don't know ) much about computers.
    So I decided to investigate further. I decided to 'dip my toe' in the water so to speak and went on to Ebay and purchased a second hand Dell laptop and a little Hot Audio DAC . I have to mention here that I kept my NVA amp and cables as they have provided me with sterling service over the years . (I put them in the loft )
    I also bought a pair of Royd A7 speakers . Special mention must go to Mark (Reid Malenphant ) who talked me through upgrading the crossovers on these speakers , turning a good pair of standmounts into an excellent pair.When I got this little system up and running I couldn't believe how good it sounded . With the help of John (Welder) and Tim on AOS I was to achieve even better results .
    To cut to the chase several more upgrades were to provide me with a system which has given me with much listening pleasure . However a couple of months ago I was selling something on the forum and was contacted by Gary ( Gazjam ) who wanted to buy my item . We discovered that we lived quite close to each other , so Gary came to mine to pick up the item . We got talking about our systems and the result was Gary offered to build me a music server to my specifications ( actually they were his as I don't have a bliddy clue ) with Windows 7 and JRiver media player included. Well Gary delivered the server the other day and set it up for me . Quite frankly I couldn't believe what I was hearing . This is easily the best system I have ever owned . My new system sounds fantastic IMHO and I believe that as it settles down it will improve even more . I have had a couple of late nights already rediscovering my music collection. Fantastic !
    If you are contemplating going down the file-based audio route my suggestion would be to go for it. The rewards are well worth the effort IMO and there are plenty of people on AOS who are more than willing to give up their valuable time to help. If I haven't mentioned your name or the help you provided me with please forgive me as my memory isn't what it used to be.
    Below a few pictures of my new server and system with thanks to all who helped me get to where I am today ,especially Gazjam who has provided me with so much help and advice.
    your Welcome!

Nice writeup Brian, wish you many years of enjoyment mate.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    your Welcome!

As this will probably be read by quite a few folks contemplating this route Gary, would it be possible to post up the parts used as a example???.

As to the build Brian, looks good and suits the gear... Glad you finally got it sorted out. See told you it was easy.... as long as you know a lad in the Hamilton area... (Ok Gary, other side of the 74 ).....
    Enjoy the music.....

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    your Welcome!

Thanks Gary , for all your help mate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast