+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JR149 versus JR150... What should I expect?

I'm Nick.

Default JR149 versus JR150... What should I expect?

I currently have a pair of Jim Rogers JR149's and I love them. Very clear, and very punchy for small speakers. I've been on the lookout for a pair of JR150's for a year or two though. The other day a pair came up (eagle-eyed eBay watchers may have spotted them) and I jumped at the opportunity. I know there are those that say the 149's have sharper imaging, due to the simplicty of the two-driver design. For me, that is of less interest than the heft that should come from a three-driver system. I'm keen to hear the two side by side.

I know Jerry has had 150's and liked them. It'd be interesting to hear what others have to say about the relative merits of the 150 versus 149... I'll obviously report my own findings when I've had a chance to hear them in-situ.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Nobody.

I was waiting for this Nick The 'JR150' uses Audax units where as the 'JR149' uses the KEF 'B110' as you know..I much prefer the Audax units tbh.. but prefer the shorter look of the 'JR149's.

I'm Nick.

Well it's been a few days because I needed to sort some XLR to banana plug extensions for my regular speaker cables. That's done now, so tomorrow I get the chance to listen properly.

They are a lot bigger than the 149's. I think they're going to rock somewhat more than the 149's. Bring it on!
    Nick
    My system...

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

A very long time since I compared the two, but as I recall, the "family DNA" is very much in evidence, the 150 sounding bigger and larger scale I think.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Never heard them myself (JR 150s) but Hifi Choice speaker review books don't rate them as highly as the 149s. Despite that, they sell for more so not sure if that's due to the mistake that they must be better because they're higher up the range or if the Hifi Choice (Paul Messenger?) reviewer's view isn't a common one.

I suspect though that non-experienced types (I might include myslef in that description) will simply think they're better due to more bass...

Looking forward to the comparison - let us know!

I'm Nick.

I'm really impressed. The soundstage is more defined, which is a shock I think. I have them nearfield about 5-6 feet away. Bass is fuller but not in any way overdone. I am very pleased.

More detail later!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Nick. Sounds like you're having fun, but where are the pics?

Still lovin' ya Techy, I hope, too!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

Pics later! And yes, I'm still loving the Techie. It's the Techie that got me to start thinking more about real sound!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, dude. Looking forward to seeing the pics

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

Sounds like they were a good move Nick, well done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast