+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New M-dac power supply

I'm Mervyn.

This looks a great buy for MDAC owners and I think would be hard to DIY build for less money given the 3 rail requirement. Is it a 2 reg design as for Nick's other power supplies ? Also I beleive John Westlake will be making a new PCB board upgrade for the MDAC to give dual mono outputs which means 2 more power rails. Can the unit be upgraded to 5 rails ?
    Thanks Mervyn

I'm fuckoff.

Interesting questions, Mervyn. Anyone know?!

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mileend View Post
    This looks a great buy for MDAC owners and I think would be hard to DIY build for less money given the 3 rail requirement. Is it a 2 reg design as for Nick's other power supplies ? Also I beleive John Westlake will be making a new PCB board upgrade for the MDAC to give dual mono outputs which means 2 more power rails. Can the unit be upgraded to 5 rails ?
    Thanks Mervyn
    Yep, Its the same topology as the two box regs, dual distinct regulators, just in the one box this time, with the addition of -ve versions. And yes, there is no reason why additional second regulator stages could not be added giving as many distinct rails as needed. As you say, not that much point with the current power board in the mdac, but who knows.

The point of it (in this case) is not so much about regulation, as the dac itself has that covered, but its main goal is to remove the injection of noise into the main box that the standard power supply does.
    Nick.

I'm Mervyn.

Many thanks for that Nick. Yes John Westlake says the on board regs are very low noise and his latest tweaks seem to improve this further. The standard supplied adaptor is AC so any dc replacement should theoretically proviide some sonic improvement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456