+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 401 Project

I'm Paul.

Default 401 Project

Following servicing of the 401, I've designed and built a new plinth. Completed today, there's zero motor or idler noise or rumble now and its a close match with the Gyro!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm Mika.

Quite minty looking 401 and nice looking plinth! And this despite of my personal addiction of solid and weighty plinths when wood is used as material

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika K View Post
    Quite minty looking 401 and nice looking plinth! And this despite of my personal addiction of solid and weighty plinths when wood is used as material
    Thanks Mika

the deck is 40 years old this year and still going strong. I gave it it's first major overhaul this month which was long overdue./ Spindle bearing was shot and idler wheel needed reconditioning, plus motor bearings were dry as a bone. It sounded like a blacksmith#'s forge on overtime! It's now pretty silent and good for another 40 years.

The plinth is one I designed myself and although it looks like many other skeletal plinths it's geometry was carefully chosen for aesthetics (it conforms to the Golden Rectangle ratio), is adjustable for getting the platter level and the chassis sits flush on suspension supports so the chassis is fully isolated from the plinth.

It weights in at around 18Kg.

I'm Mika.

Yes I can relate - my 401 was fully serviced also the first time few years back and have thought that it will go now for a long long time without any problems..

I'm Peter.

The 401 is a stunning looking TT and the simplicity and clean lines of your plinth set-up emphasizes that. Very nice mate.

Cheers, Pete.

I'm Mike.

That looks great Paul! I've just bought a 401 and I'm looking at plinths, what materials did you use in yours?

Mike

I'm steve.

thats some solid oak worktop

I'm gone.

I've seen and heard Paul's deck in action - it is a thing of beauty and sounds amazingly good!

... it's impossible to keep your tush still and not boogie along with the music!!

+ Reply to Thread