+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New cartridge is looming...

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by blake
    Alas, if I'd known you were working with a Hadcock, I would not have made the recommendation. Not a good match with the 103 derivatives.
    Actually, it can be a pretty good home for a 103. The lossy nature of a unipivot bearing means the 103 can work well, extra mass is needed at the head shell like so many other arms but I found it to be a good home for the 103...where is does not work is in rigid modern arms with tight tolerance bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR
    Does the Hadcock still need glueing back up after the slightest re-adjustment?

Oh, those were the days - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christmas Eve, Thorens with Hadcock to set up for Christmas. Didn't surface before five PM, by which time all the Christmas goodies had been eaten and drunk. I was NOT amused!
    LOL! yes it can be a right PIA and is a real test of endurance and ones patience but once you get to know its little quirks it's really not that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie
    I am in pretty much the same position as NRG, having a long-in-the-tooth Kontrapunkt B in a Technoarm on an old Kenwood KD-770D direct drive deck. So, today I ordered an Ortofon 2M Black from Alastair at Signals, hoping that it will have most of the delicacy of the KB, but maybe with more oomph. If anyone is interested, I'll post some impressions once it's settled in.
    Yesterday I swapped out the KB for a Rondo Bronze that was in service on another deck and well...in short the KB is shot...I'm not a huge fan of the Rondo a bit too matter of fact in it's presentation which always made me go back to the KB but now the KB sounds soft and lacking detail and depth in comparison...I think Expert Stylus will be getting my business pretty soon!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Neal,

How's it going?

I would remind you of my earlier post #15

Cheers.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    ...I think Expert Stylus will be getting my business pretty soon!
    Hi Neal

I would be very interested in having my KB retipped, if it means giving it a new lease of life, so please report on how it goes with Expert Stylus for you.

Looking at your photograph of the KB cantilever, is that a crack in the ruby?

Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 18-01-2009 at 14:26.

I'm Neal.

Just a hair / lint on the other side...I gave it a good clean and there's nothing there...

I'm Hugo.

The 2M Black arrived very quickly, thanks to Alastair at Signals, whose service is consistently impeccable. Setting up in the Technoarm was the proverbial piece of p$ss, helped by the fact that Ortofon must have designed the cartridge body shape to match a Rega headshell - if the cartridge is lined up neatly with the front of the headshell it gives almost perfect alignment. It's now running in, and first impressions are pretty much what I'd hoped for, the sound being refined yet vibrant. Time will tell, of course. A high output cartridge does require a certain amount of fiddling with the settings on my PS Audio GCPH phono amp, and I am able to follow PS Audio's recommendations to have the volume control on the GCPH set at about three quarters, which was not really possible with the Kontrapunkt B. Anyway, here's a picture:

I'm Hugo.

Neal

Have you done anything yet about having your KB retipped?

Cheers

Shuggie

I'm Neal.

No not yet, sorry if you where waiting for some feedback. Expert Stylus asked me to hold off until mid Feb as they where swamped with work...I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they could take it earlier.

I'm Deleted.

Fantastic pictures.

I've had my Troika done a few times now by Expert - always found them excellent (but slow).
    Account Deleted

I'm Neal.

Finally got the KB off to ESC and all is OK except for the stylus which is very worn...5 weeks to wait for its return!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Finally got the KB off to ESC and all is OK except for the stylus which is very worn...5 weeks to wait for its return!
    Do you know what the retip is costing? My KB must be due for a thorough check at least.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast