+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New cartridge is looming...

I'm Neal.

Default New cartridge is looming...

My Kontra B is getting long in the tooth so will need attention soon. I gave Expert Stylus a call and had a very interesting and open chat without any hard 'sell', most gratifying,...if the suspension on my cart is good (I suspect it is as the cart rides OK) then they can re-tip mine for £279 inc VAT and Delivery, or it may just need a clean. If the suspension is shot then there's nowt they can do and I'll need to seek an exchange unit which currently runs at £600 notes...ouch!

Anyhow I decided to take a look at the stylus along side a Goldring and a DL103R....here's the pics....

The goldring (actually a Reson Reca):

The DL103r conical stylus:

Neither the Goldring or the 103 have had much use as you will tell by viewing my Kontra B ...

I think I need to improve my hygiene

Front shot looks worse than it is:

Side shot not too bad:

The pics don't show all the detail and look worse than it is but there are signs of wear and I think I'll take the plunge in a few months....the most disturbing this I noted is the stylus is not 100% square with the cartridge body...if you go back and look at the head on shot you can see is a little off to the left... [EDIT] ooops! no you can't as I cropped the pic!

Coils on the KB:

Anyhow thought you might like seeing some close up shots...
    Last edited by NRG; 15-01-2009 at 15:49.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Excellent stuff, Neil - and most interesting! Thanks for taking the time and effort posting those rather artistic pictures

Hey mate, if the Ortofon's gone somewhat 'tits-up', then now's as good a time as any to use that other excellent cartridge of yours (beginning with a 'D') and spend any money instead on partnering it properly

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Default WOW !!!!!!!!!

HI NRG

WOW, how did you take those pictures ? Yes its scary when you can see a close up and thinks don't look true. Was it me did I do it, was it that cleaning brush/vibrator or is this a quality control issue ? Oh crap has it damaged my Vinyl !

Fantastic pictures, very illuminating. Your right about dirt. I recently put a 1997 circa S/H Ortofon 7500 on my TT. I have had it awhile as it came with the TT, a SME Model 20. I had thought it was shot and not worth trying . I had a look through a Magnifying glass and after cleaning it,it looked okay. I tried it and not only is it okay but it was brilliant . Obviously it has a very finite life (being so old and having been used before I got it) so maybe it too can be retipped ? EXCELLENT.

Regards D S D L----Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thanks for taking the time and effort posting those rather artictic pictures
    The what?

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

HAHAHA... Typo! Now fixed

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Nick.

Super pictures Thank you!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    ....Hey mate, if the Ortofon's gone somewhat 'tits-up', then now's as good a time as any to use that other excellent cartridge of yours (beginning with a 'D') and spend any money instead on partnering it properly

Marco.
    Errrrrr....yes....I don't think so...I'm not going to bend my system to fit that old tractor!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L
    WOW, how did you take those pictures ?
    My other hobby is Watch collecting and watch making/servicing so I have a Jewlers Stereoscope for inspection and oiling of all those little itty bitty parts!

Errrrrr....yes....I don't think so...I'm not going to bend my system to fit that old tractor!
    LOL. Why own one then in the first place? You must have wasted money on it for a reason

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Blake.

I'm new to the forum and can't seem to find your system listed (may be I'm just not looking in the right spots) and notwithstanding the tractor remarks on the Denon, if you have a low hours 103R kicking around you might want to consider this for 100 Euros:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/images/.../Bodies3-1.pdf

You'll need to do a little surgery as outlined here:

http://www.thomas-schick.com/Denon103.htm

and the cartridge will be significantly improved. Improved to the point that others have replaced cartridges like Shelter 901, Koetsu Rosewood and Benz Ebony L with it.

As I said, I'm new to the forum so I apologise if this info has already been posted in earlier threads. But at the price if you've already got the 103R I would suggest to you that it's a no brainer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast