+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Connoisseur BD1 turntable.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Geoff.

Default Connoisseur BD1 turntable.

Who remembers the Connoisseur BD1 (and BD2)? Those who know these little units seem to have very polarised views, you either love them or hate them, I have a great fondness for them, because of their sheer basic simplicity and the fact that if they are set up properly they deliver remarkably good sound. I'm starting this thread as I've just unearthed a BD1 I'd forgotten I owned and I'm very tempted to resurrect it. I've also found a pile of new spares which should help. I had my last one a few years ago, running alongside my Garrad 401 and enjoyed it just as much as the Garrard. Both worked well with Mission 774 arms onboard (see thumbnail, sorry about the dust!). I've owned many BD1s over the years and a few BD2s, which I was less keen on. The one to get is the earlier version without the notch in the motor pulley which was added to facilitate speed change, as it can affect the smooth running of the belt and also avoid the models with speed change mechanisms or remove the mechanism from them. In it's day the BD1 had very favourable reviews, it was low on rumble due to a very good main bearing and had a quite weighty platter, which was only ten inches across, but this did not seem to affect the unit's abilities. They're good fun to own, but do require looking after as the motor suspension needs rebuilding every couple of years, easy job though. The belts have lasted me ten years or more and are still available, along with other parts. Geoff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by walpurgis; 16-06-2012 at 23:41. Reason: correction/addition

+ Reply to Thread