+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Connoisseur BD1 turntable.

I'm Rick.

Hi

How nice to find such useful and timely information on Connoisseur decks in this thread.

I have just resurrected my 70s Connoisseur (BD2) turntable after 20 years in the loft. It is in its original state and still has the motor suspended by rubber bands. Having replaced them a number of times before, I fitted new ones and successfully got it working again.

Reassuringly, it plays 45s at the correct speed but struggles with 33s as the belt is slipping.

Does anyone know what was in the phial (see image) which originally came with the deck from A R Sugden? I guess I must have used mine years ago to revitalise the belt and I wish to do it again before I purchase a new one. The belt itself still feels and appears to be okay.

Cheers

Rick

Last edited by Baldrick; 29-09-2020 at 18:53. Reason: corrected image url

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Does anyone know what was in the phial (see image) which originally came with the deck from A R Sugden?]
    Belt dressing grease. I've still got some and a pile of spares, some new, including an original belt and main bearing.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Belt dressing grease...
    Many thanks. I've discovered there's an unrelated product called 'BD1 Belt Dressing Spray'.

I'm Geoff.

The modern neoprene replacement belts are not great. They tend to be too tight and pull the motor forward too much. Far better to keep an eye out for an original rubber one.

The best motor pulley is the early one with two distinct belt positions, it requires changing speed by hand, but runs much quieter.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rick.

keep an eye out for an original rubber one.
    I've looked at the options but is it still possible to find an original one?
    The best motor pulley is the early one with two distinct belt positions, it requires changing speed by hand
    That sounds like the one I've got..

I'm Geoff.

I've unearthed my kitty of Connoisseur BD1/BD2 spares and am willing to part with them if you are interested.

I'm Rick.

I've unearthed my kitty of Connoisseur BD1/BD2 spares...
    That's very good of you. I assume you no longer have a Connoisseur deck. I'll private message you.

With regards to Belt Dressing, talking to an engineering friend and seeing how wide the choice is, it sounds like the sprays available are aimed at heavy duty belts belts. I wonder what could be recommended for the more delicate belts on turntables?

Thanks.

I'm Geoff.

The belts require no dressing on them, despite it being sold for them. It just attracts dust and fluff and an unstretched belt won't slip. Wash the belt under the tap with a bit of washing up liquid every few months and wipe with silicone oil.

I'm Rick.

Wash the belt under the tap with a bit of washing up liquid every few months and wipe with silicone oil.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

I'm Steve.

Good thread this. I used to build Connoisseur turntables. I used the cut down one with various tonearms and cartridges.

All you had to do was cut out a bit of chipboard with a jigsaw and set it all up on 4 rubbery feet. We even did this with twin turntables for Disco. The Connoisseur was good for disco because it started up fast due to that rubbery spring on the on/off switch. So you could cue up the next record for a flick of the switch.

I have a solid tip for any vinyl turntable user. Either mount the turntable on a solid shelf attached to the wall, Or put it and the amp in the next room. Isolates it from bass feedback from the speakers. Because a turntable in the groove is a microphone. Even picks up your dancing footsteps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast