+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: arm choice for Thorens TD150

I'm Phil.

Default arm choice for Thorens TD150

my TD 150 currently sports a TP 13a Kreugal arm, which sounds very entertaining actually

Sticking with the 'S' shaped theme, what options are there? I've thought maybe a SME 3009, or a Rega RB200 with perhaps a AO rewire.

any thoughts on arms for a TD 150?
    Last edited by 1000RPM; 04-06-2012 at 20:24.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I still rather like the supplied arm, especially if it's the mk2 version with balls for counterweight and tracking force. Just carefully lubricate the horizontal sleeve bearing and carefully adjust the vertical ones for minimal play and low friction (a bit tricky this to get both aspects correct). properly fettled and with fresh exit cabling to the amp, it should be good for 1.5 - 2g trackers like the Shure M97XE, AT120E, Denon DL110 and Sumiko Blue Point, as well as favourites like the Ortofon 2M series under £200. Going beyond this may well tax the abilities of the turntable itself in all honesty unless it's substantially re-plinthed and fitted with a Wave-Mechanic type of power supply/fine speed adjuster.

As for other arms, the Rega RB series matches the suspension well, although I suspect the Jelco 750 series may be too heavy for it. The cheaper Jelco straight arm may be better suited though. The Alphason arms are expensive now but very good and not too heavy. The R200 arm can now have the bias belt replaced and a re-wire works wonders. Ask Johnnie at Audio Origami.

Apologies if you think I'm being a bit negative here. The TD150 is over forty years old (replaced by the 160 in 1972 IIRC) and, although it shares a huge amount of basic DNA with the Ariston RD11/Linn LP12, it wasn't as substantially made as these latter decks. The stock arm may look a dogs dinner, but it's not as bad as you'd think - honestly
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Dave:
    You know & i know that if an arm is pig ugly it will undoubtly go in the bin regardless of how decent it may sound.. Remember the 'TD150' armboards are only narrow, the plinth is only skinny something like a Rega or Grace '707' is technically a 10'' arm (approx 222mm mounting).. If i were to use one of these arms i'd be remaking the Wooden surround with wider armboard to suit. But i rather keep it original..

I would personally keep it original or SME '3009'.. With 'TP13a'/'TP50' Yours will be the TD150 Mk.II/AB.If you mount SME3009 it then effectivly becomes 'TD150 Mk.II/B
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 05-06-2012 at 21:53.

I'm mike.

Yep, I went with the classic SME 3009 with my 150 plus Shure v15 cart and it do sound good plus it looks stylish as well, but of course we are not bothered by looks are we?
    Rewired it in copper litz (fiddly) and I think it stands up well to my Lenco 75, slightly more rounded sound, perhaps less 'analytical'.

The SME will just fit on the original armboard but in the end I made an LP12 size plinth and armboard as I think the proportions are better.
    I still have the oak armboard I made to TD150 size with the SME cutout. If you decide to go that route and want it to try out your more than welcome to it.

I'm Phil.

Thanks all for your thoughts

Actually I like the look of the TP13a ! no worries on the cosmetics front. I'd be happy to stick with it and just focus on a little bearing fettling etc.

mind you, I do like the look of a SME 3009. I less like the look of 3009 prices. I have a rewired RB250 available, but my suspicion is a 's' shaped arm might be a better match, hence the question about the RB200.

The plan is to make a new plinth, base and armboard. reading some of above posts, I hadn't thought of using the opportunity to widen the armboard. Does the suspension still hold up?

I'm Nobody.

Yes the suspension will be ok, remember you have to put a rebate all the way down the left underside of the new armboard... you see it when you remove the old board. btw Your only increasing the width by approx 22mm

I'm mike.

here's mine

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm Phil.

very nice TD 150

I'm Nobody.

Mike
    Where's the lid come from?

I'm mike.

Plastics online, cost around 50.00 I think. Got it made in 4mm to fit into Linn hinges. Thing is they can make any size you want.

http://www.plasticonline.co.uk/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast