+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Wilson puppy clones

I'm Andrew.

Default Building Wilson puppy clones

I intend to build some puppies to go with the watts clones that I have .
    I have the plans and drawings but they state using Peerless 217 WR 33’s ( instead of the seas drivers ) , trouble is these are no longer available either so I don’t know how I use alternative 8” drivers with the original crossover design ?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

X-Over Schematic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Not sure but why is + connected to both sides of the woofers?

I'm Andrew.

Default Building Wilson puppy clones

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I did wonder myself
    It might have something to do with a choice of in phase or not ….

The Crossover is as simple as it gets. The highpass feeding the David "satellite" is a simple 1st order Unit. Note that the output to the Satellite is inverted in Phase. However, depending upon the room and listening conditions it may be neccesary to connect the David "satellite" in phase in order to avoid room resonances. Feel free to experiment.

The Lowpass feeding the Woofers uses an Impedance Compensation. If the Dynaudio 21W-54 Woofers are employed, this Compensation is un-neccesary and should be omitted. It might be desirable to connect a high power resistor of 15 Ohm Value (> 50W) across the Woofers to slightly attenuate the woofers as well as reducing the Impedance swing at low frequencies.

Again, building methodes and part quality are to the higest standards. The Wire to the woofers was left as conventional stranded wire, the wires to the crossover as well as those to the connectors feeding the David Satellite Speakers are made from the same DIY-Litzwire that was used in the Satellite. The short Interconnection between Woofer and Satellite also uses this wire.

I'm Geoff.

It's a paralleled pair, otherwise they'd cancel each other out in antiphase. I assume that's what you meant Lawerence?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's a paralleled pair, otherwise they'd cancel each other out in antiphase. I assume that's what you meant Lawerence?
    I just thought there'd be no PD across the drivers so no sound.

I'm Geoff.

I just thought there'd be no PD across the drivers so no sound.
    I took another look. I'd missed the second '+' connection at the bottom of the bass section. That has to be wrong.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Where did you get the circuit diagram from Andy?

I'm assuming the middle inputs are -ve although I don't know why you need 2.

I think the bottom one is -ve too as the paralleled capacitors are part of a low pass filter but you need something in front of them like an inductor just after the +input before they branch off. I'm not sure what a capacitor alone between the + and - of the amp would do but I don't think it would be nice.

Have a look at this for an idea. Drop the 2 lpad resistors and add the first inductor and you've got your circuit.

Last edited by Lawrence001; 25-03-2023 at 12:52.

I'm Andrew.

Where did you get the circuit diagram from Andy?

I'm assuming the middle inputs are -ve although I don't know why you need 2.

I think the bottom one is -ve too as the paralleled capacitors are part of a low pass filter but you need something in front of them like an inductor just after the +input before they branch off. I'm not sure what a capacitor alone between the + and - of the amp would do but I don't think it would be nice.

Have a look at this for an idea.

I’m all up for other designs before I commit to the build , I think someone on diy audio sent me the drawing .

I'm charles.

The first schematic looks fine. What the designer has done is to connect the drivers electrically out of phase to place them acoustically in phase.

I'm Lawrence.

Whereas I think there will be no sound from the bass drivers and a short circuit across the amp at higher frequencies but I'm not an expert.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast