View Poll Results: How do you rate the album ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10 Music for BOF's

0 0%
  • 2/10 Is this Prog? I hate Prog.

0 0%
  • 3/10 Same old thing.

0 0%
  • 4/10 Its alright I suppose.

1 3.85%
  • 5/10 Some nice sounds going on.

0 0%
  • 6/10 Quite like a couple of tracks.

1 3.85%
  • 7/10 This is a good album.

3 11.54%
  • 8/10 Great guitar and melodies.

2 7.69%
  • 9/10 Up there with the best of them.

8 30.77%
  • 10/10 A timeless classic , brilliant.

11 42.31%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club 29/05/2012 : Wishbone Ash - Argus

I'm john.

I have the CD and a NM vinyl copy of this album..will give it a spin over the weekend from the handful of Wishbone Ash albums I have this one is from what I remember the standout.
    John.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I'm going to struggle to give this album anything other than 10/10 as its one of my all time favourites. I have seen WA a number of times over the years, first being in 1974 on I think the There's The Rub tour. I have never stopped enjoying seeing them or listening to their early music. I will however try to see if it still deserves that score and give it a careful listen..... I'll try not to get the air guitar out for Throw Down The Sword...
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Got to be a 9/10 from me, one of their best. Always loved the WA melodic guitar sound.
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well its still a 10/10 for me, there isn't a track I don't like on the album, but unlike the majority my favorite has always been Throw Down The Sword, not Blowin' Free. Its a curse I have had to bear, as they always seem to play Blowin' Free live, but I think I have only ever seen TDTS once. The dueling guitars on this track still sends shivers down my spine - in fact I had to play it twice tonight, the second time on headphones.

I have had this on vinyl and cassette over the years, but now its just a FLAC rip of the remastered CD. I timeless classic I very much doubt I will ever tire of listening too - good choice.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well its still a 10/10 for me, there isn't a track I don't like on the album, but unlike the majority my favorite has always been Throw Down The Sword, not Blowin' Free. Its a curse I have had to bear, as they always seem to play Blowin' Free live, but I think I have only ever seen TDTS once. The dueling guitars on this track still sends shivers down my spine - in fact I had to play it twice tonight, the second time on headphones.

I have had this on vinyl and cassette over the years, but now its just a FLAC rip of the remastered CD. I timeless classic I very much doubt I will ever tire of listening too - good choice.
    I'm with you on that one Tim, Blowing Free is my least favourite on the album, probably down to the fact that the cover band I was in at school used to mangle it pretty badly...and you can hear something too often!

I wasn't old enough to see them with Ted Turner, but caught them about '75/76 I think, when Lauri Wisefeild had taken his slot. More recently I've seen both current incarnations (Martin Turner's and Andy Powell's) play the album in its entirety...for my money Andy Powell's version are better
    Last edited by WAD62; 01-06-2012 at 12:42.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Barry.

Back to my OP, Blowin'' Free is what alerted me to the album but Throw down the Sword is my fav. track.

I'm ChrisB.

Snap!!

I'm Will.

'Sometime World' for me...the bass line is superb
    Cheers, Will

I'm Paul.

Listening to this again explains why I never investigated Wishbone Ash furthur. It's all a very pleasant listen with excellent playing. Just washes over my head realy and glad it ended. Not enough pace and variation to the music for me. A decent prog album but undeserving of it's high rating. 7/10.

synsei Guest

The very first time I listened to Argus (which was only a year or so ago) I wasn't impressed at all, in fact I interrupted it about 15 minutes in to listen to something else (it is entirely possible that I just wasn't in the mood that day).

Upon a second listen and a third today I have to admit it is growing on me. I particularly enjoy Time Was for it's gorgeously minimalist introduction and from there, how it segues into a rollicking rock lick. All in all the album is okay although I wouldn't put it in my top ten, so in light of that I give it 6/10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast