View Poll Results: How do you rate the album ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10 Music for BOF's

0 0%
  • 2/10 Is this Prog? I hate Prog.

0 0%
  • 3/10 Same old thing.

0 0%
  • 4/10 Its alright I suppose.

1 3.85%
  • 5/10 Some nice sounds going on.

0 0%
  • 6/10 Quite like a couple of tracks.

1 3.85%
  • 7/10 This is a good album.

3 11.54%
  • 8/10 Great guitar and melodies.

2 7.69%
  • 9/10 Up there with the best of them.

8 30.77%
  • 10/10 A timeless classic , brilliant.

11 42.31%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club 29/05/2012 : Wishbone Ash - Argus

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    Good shout Mark and as before stop after 7.
    I think I liked it as I unintentionally ended up on track nine

Off to give it 8/10
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    I think I liked it as I unintentionally ended up on track nine

Off to give it 8/10
    Fair dues, I can't comment on the other tracks as I've never heard them.
    Good subject matter for another thread "Added Tracks good or bad?"

I'm ChrisB.

Wishbone Ash - Barry, the first thing I heard by them was also 'Blowing Free'. A little later than the original release, though - it was a single that I bought & still have. I bought it on a whim & then I went to see them a short while later - my 2nd or 3rd gig I think. I saw them several timas after that too, so they've always been more of a live band for me than an albums band. I got into the Live Dates album, which I soon began to know inside out, long before I heard Argus in full. Despite that, I'd agree with the review you quoted, this album is pretty much a perfect creation, so it's 10/10 from me.

I've played my vinyl copy twice tonight, on two different turntables and got something different from each performance.
    I love 'Sometime World' for the interplay between the two guitars and the propulsion from the rhythm section in the last few minutes. For a moment or two, it's ascloseasthis to 'Freebird' - I'd bet my boots that Allen Collins and Gary Rossington were listening to Argus when they recorded their first album.

I'd also recommend both of the first two 'Live Dates' albums, especially the second one for the sublime Glasgow Apollo versions of Lorelei & Persephone. Also essential for me are 'Pilgrimage' and 'Wishbone Four'.

EDIT: Oops! - Just noticed I talked about 'Time Was' when I meant 'Sometime World'.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 30-05-2012 at 23:22.

I'm Martin.

I bought this back in 1988 when I was at college, never heard of the band I just liked the album cover. Unexpectedly it blew me away and everyone else who heard it really liked it and made tape copies of it. I have some of their other abums but this is really the stand out, I give it 9/10.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Wishbone Ash - Barry, the first thing I heard by them was also 'Blowing Free'. A little later than the original release, though - it was a single that I bought & still have.
    I thought it was a single but don't remember it doing well, can't imagine it was on TOTP's.

I'm Rich.

Gets an 8 from me, followed the Grooveshark link and it sounds pretty good through the Ditton 15/mini t combo... music such as this was made for these speakers i think. they are of a similar vintage right?

Some great guitar work on there and i love that beefy bass sound their bass player has. Nice melodies and the lyrics are suitably cosmic without being too far up their own arse. I might take a punt on cheap copy of this for the collection, is the remastered double CD and bonus tracks any good or an earlier version recommended?

Might be just me but i reckons the opening riff and solo from 'Throw down the sword' sounds a bit like earlier Metallica in their more melodic moments, or rather the other way round.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Barry.

Richard, I have the first re-mastered CD and haven't heard any later issues. Having done a bit of research sonically there is no difference, extra tracks are fine if you are collecting. This was a complete album and was a piece of work seven tracks long CD's need filling up.

Another quote -Seven tracks of nigh on musical perfection from 'Time Was' through to 'Throw Down The Sword', anyone who claims to appreciate rock music has to own a copy of "Argus". It's the law.

The Metallica reference- I only have the "Black album" so can't comment.

I'm ChrisB.

It's a bit frustrating, but slightly amusing, to note that Martin Turner (the bassist/singer) and Andy Powell (guitar) each have their own versions of Wishbone Ash and have each chosen to re-record 'Argus', both albums being released at virtually the same time in 2008!

Andy Powell recorded 'Argus, Then Again – Live' at a small gig in Washington DC, while Martin Turner’s Wishbone Ash released 'Argus Through The Looking Glass' in the studio with John Wetton & others. Martin Turner's album has a different running order to the original & 'Blowin' Free' is the final track as he had originally intended it to be.

'The King Will Come' - Andy Powell's version (Grooveshark)

'The King Will Come' - Martin Turner's version:

Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 30-05-2012 at 23:03.

I'm Barry.

Thanks for the links Chris, unfair to compare the two as one is live, both very good though.
    Hard to imagine the album not finishing with Throw Down The Sword as it is a great ending song.

I'm Will.

10/10 an absolute classic!

...particularly the Andy Powell remaster (thanks Chris by the way)
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast